✰ Chapter 1 ✰

word count: 1501

started: March 24

ended: March 31

[edited]

----------------------------------------------------------

Reader's POV

*Flashback to Middle School*

(**A/N** the middle teams are co-ed btw)

"Kageyama, nice serve!" I shout from the bench. The game begins as I watch our practice match. Oikawa Tooru keeps messing up and I can tell he's lacking his usual composure. It's like he isn't even focused on the match.

"(Y/N) you are in." My coach tells me. As I walk onto the court, I look over to Oikawa. He looks disappointed. Taking his place on the court, I focus on the ball.

"Nice receive, (Y/N)," Kageyama says. I give him a small smile, and turn my attention back to the game. "(Y/N)!" Kageyama shouts I see the ball go up. I quickly get to the ball, and successfully set it to my teammate. He jumps and smacks the ball down with force. The whistle blew indicating that the game is over. I look over to the scoreboard, 25-20. The whole team cheers for our win.

"Nice game Kageyama! You did really good." I compliment him before walking off the court to get a drink. "Hey Iwaizumi!" I shout towards my friend, "That was a really good game."

"Yeah, good job today (Y/N)." I give him a smile, and turn my attention to Oikawa. He was still sitting on the bench.

"Is Oikawa ok? He seems different lately." I ask, worried.

"Yeah, he is just frustrated that he couldn't do better." Iwaizumi reassures me.

I slowly walk towards the brown-haired boy sitting alone. "Hey, Oikawa. Don't worry about today, you'll do better next time." I say, trying to lift up his mood. He looks up at me and begins walking away. "Oh, ok." I quietly say to myself.

✰✰✰

*Present*

"Come on guys, we can't let them win!" I shout across the court. We are down 12-22, a 10 point difference. I know we won't win, but it still hurts to know my last game this season with the Karasuno will be a loss.

"Yeah, (Y/N) is right we can close this gap. Let's give it our all," Says Akira, our libero. I look to the rest of the girls and the fire in their eyes is gone. Now I realize we are a lost cause.

We played out our last game and got crushed 13-25. Point after point we lost, and our hitters just stopped calling for the ball. I set each as perfectly as the last, but they just stood there. Akira tried to dig up as many balls as she could but it was useless, as our defense crumbled.

After the game was over, we head to the locker room to change. "Guys, what was that? You just stopped playing!" I shout at my team. "Does this team not mean anything to you guys? Akira and I worked our asses off to keep the game going and we have you guys," I look at our hitters, "you guys just stood there!"

Our middle, Hanami, spoke, "Yeah, maybe we did stop trying... but (Y/N), our team sucks! That isn't some giant secret so stop acting like we even have a shot!"

"No, (Y/N) is right! We could have beaten them, we are in the bottom division and that team lost just as much as us. We had a chance, but we need people who are willing to play the damn game and not sit their asses and look pretty!" Akira blew up at Hanami. She stormed out of the locker room, followed by some others.