Adjusting

Stefani

I just came back from Cabo where I celebrated my 33rd birthday with a group of my closest friends. We had so much fun and a great opportunity to relax after a pretty strenuous award season. It may look exciting and glamorous but the truth is that having a different show to attend almost every day in addition to recording a new album and the Vegas residency was probably to much to juggle at the same time. Now, with all the awards distributed and the residency on break until May, I could finally polish the last songs on the album and release it. I was leaving the studio after a night recording session with Mark when my phone vibrated in my pocket announcing a new message:

Bradley
Hope all went great. I'm out with Lea, wanna join?

I felt my heartbeat increase not knowing how to reply. Yes, I wanted to spend the day with them but wasn't sure of Lea's reaction. Bradley and Irina's split was announced two weeks ago and I wanted her to accommodate to the new reality as well as possible. She was only two and suddenly went from living with both of her parents to spending each week with one of them. Of course she knew me but only as her daddy's friend, a funny aunt who was around a lot during the production of a Star is Born. I spent good ten minutes contemplating my answer until I decided not to worry. If he was sure it was a good idea then so should I.

Sure :)
Griffith Park in 20?

I drove there straight from the studio's parking lot. Once I arrived, I immediately recognized Bradley's characteristic car. Such a manly vehicle with purple flower stickers covering the back window. I instinctively smiled when I saw it. There was no end to my teasing him about them. I exited my car and joined them inside theirs. After quickly checking the surroundings, I greeted Bradley with a single kiss on a cheek and then turned in Lea's direction. 

"Hello, Princess. Are you exited to have fun with Daddy?"-I asked the toddler. 

"Stefi! Yeah, fun with Daddy and Stefi!"- she replied excitedly and I smiled at her words.

Bradley turned the engine off and got out of the car. I did the same and waited for him when he opened the back door and took Lea out of her carseat. We decided to walk independently of the popular track to keep out of the tourists' cameras and simply enjoy ourselves. Lea was determined to walk on her own and she took a place between me and her dad, holding both of our hands. From time to time we would swing her what she welcomed with a loud laugh. I was in awe of her acceptance of me without any questions. Yes, she did not know that something has changed between her daddy and me in the last couple of weeks but the fact that she was so open still surprised me.

We were already walking for about an hour when Lea let go of our hands and ran straight away shouting "Payground!". Bradley simply chuckled and followed her with me at the end. Once we approached the impressive-looking playground, she was already trying to sit on a pretty high swing. I walked in her direction and lifted her before sitting on the swing myself and placing her on my lap. 

"Daddy, do you mind helping us?"- I shouted in Bradley's direction. He turned around, now facing  us, and joined us at the construction. The first round of swinging was rather slow and low,  giving me a chance to adjust Lea on my lap and figure out a way to hold on to her and the chain at the same time. 

"Higher! Higher!"- she demanded after each time he made the swing move, "Daddy, to the moon!".

After spending about an hour on the playground we came back to the parking lot and took Bradley's car to the city to treat Lea to some ice cream. We found a nice place in Los Feliz and ordered three huge deserts that he ended up finishing for me and as daughter. We were about top leave when a group of teenage girls approached our take.