Easter

Stefani 

Three days later I found myself in my parent's kitchen. I flew into town last the previous night and had barely any time to rest before I had to come over and help prepare the infamous Easter feast. By the time I made it to my childhood home, Mom had already baked my favorite pies and pastries. My job was apparently to take care of the numerous casseroles, salads and appetizers, while Dad was supposed to manage the meat. The Italians were generally serious about their food, but the Germanottas took it to a whole new level. Natalie was nowhere to be found, probably putting the decorations up at my grandmother's apartment, where we were having lunch this year. Why did we have to cook at my parent's then, I had no idea.

It took us hours to get everything done and in the end we were left with very little time to get ready for the annual Easter service that the whole family attended. Knowing the motion already, I had made sure to pack an outfit so I could change upstairs in my childhood bedroom. Thankfully, the church was literally next door so we weren't late. The mass was very emotional, especially since it was a rare opportunity for me to meet my old friends and extended family members that I didn't didn't get to hang out with that much since becoming famous. After the service, we packed all the food up into the cars and drove over to Grandma's. There were so many of us, that it was hard to find a place to move around freely. Everyone was talking, laughing, sharing embarrassing stories about each other and going through family albums. I was trying not to die from shame over another anecdote said by Granny, when I heard my phone vibrating in my purse. I took it out and my mood instantly changed when I saw a notification of a message from Bradley.

Bradley   

Happy Easter, Love. 
Love you 

I clicked on the icon indicating an attachment and smiled widely seeing two pictures he sent me alongside the message. In the first one, he and Lea were sporting bunny ears and hugging a human-size Easter Bunny with smiles on their faces. In the second, Lea was proudly showing off a basket full of chocolate eggs.
I opened a new message and replied:

Happy Easter, Babies ♡
Looks like you're having way too 

much fun there without me.

Love ya 

Bradley 
We miss you and can't wait to have you back.
Lea says she's gonna save some eggs for you.

I felt tears gathering in my eyes and, instead of texting back, I FaceTimed him.

"Hi, Babe, I miss you too. Being here with the fam is great but I wish you were with me. You could help me eat all of the food we made. Or at least burn it."- I joked.

"I know. But I couldn't miss Lea's first Egg Hunt. You should've seen her, so determined to find the most of them."- we both laughed. 

"Such a little fighter, isn't she? Give her big kisses from me."- I said, "How is spending the holidays with Irina working out?"

"It's... awkward. But I guess I should get used to it. Christmas was way worse, anyway."

"Just wait for family vacation..."- I teased and he cringed on my screen in response. 

"How's work?"- he asked, obviously trying to change the subject. 

I let him, not wanting to focus on the fact that we're missing our first Easter together. I found a peaceful spot on the balcony and we talked for some time. I summarized the last few days we'd spent apart, succeeding in keeping the details of my Met Gala outfit under wraps, not for the lack of his trying to break me. In return, he told me whatever he could about the movie and all the drama unavoidable when gathering many celebrities on one set. He also reminded me about the "Avengers" premiere he was attending the following day and I could not stop myself from teasing him by alluding to the rumor reappearing in the magazines recently.