Pain

Stefani

It was Friday. I came back from an early workout session with my personal trainer and was exhausted. It was still early, around 9 am and I didn't feel like starting the day yet so I showered, changed into sweats and went back to bed, hoping to get at least an additional hour of sleep. Bradley was supposed to take Lea to the zoo and even though he called last night and asked me if I wanted to join them, I decided to let them spend the day alone. I felt like every time he had her, they brought me along and I didn't want to intrude on their time too much, no matter how much I loved them. 
It took me awhile to fall asleep and once I did, my slumber didn't last too long. I started feeling a great amount of pain in my hip that then spread all over my body. I tried to move my legs but was not able to do so. There is was, another spasm caused by my fibromyalgia. And it was getting more and more intense with each passing minute. I took a few deep breaths and tried to sit up but it felt like my brain had almost no control over my body. Somehow, I managed to open the nightstand drawer and grab a bottle of pills that were supposed to ease the pain. I swallowed two and closed my eyes again, wishing to sleep more and wake up in a better condition. But that didn't happen. Yes, I fell asleep, or rather lost consciousness, but the pain only got worse. I took a hold of my phone and was about to dial the well-known number but ended up calling my mom instead.

"Hi, sweetheart."- she started the conversation.

"Mom..."- I managed to utter, weak.

"Stefani, what's wrong?"- her tone became worried.

"I'm having an attack. A really bad one."

"Are you alone? Honey, you know you shouldn't...."

"I know, Mom."- I interrupted her, "But I'll be alright. I just need to talk to someone to refocus my attention from it."

"Babygirl, you know it doesn't work like that."- I heart my dad, which meant mom went on speaker, "You need someone there in case it becomes unbearable and you require medical care..."

 "Daddy, Boo is on vacation."

 "And Bradley?"- he asked.

"No."

"What do you mean by "no"?"

"I'm not doing that to him. He's off to enjoy the day with his daughter. Plus, I'm not gonna burden him with more of my...stuff."- I explained.

"Honey..."- started my mom.

"No, Mom, it's ok. I've been through it before. It will pass eventually."- I said and at the same time gasped with pain, "I gotta go, love you."- I added and quickly ended the call, clutching the sheets and counting to ten as tears fell from my eyes.

Bradley 

I was walking around the zoo with Lea on my shoulders when my phone started vibrating in my pocket. Not really interested in talking to anyone, I ignored it and moved to the Elephants of Asia section of the park, excited to show my daughter the big animals. We didn't even make it there when I felt the phone again. Slightly irritated, I took it out of the pocket and saw that the number was unknown. I accepted the call, making sure Lea was secure on my shoulders.

"Hello."

"Hello, Bradley?"- I heard a man's voice.

"Who is it?"

"I'm sorry. This is Joe Germanotta, Stefani's father. We met a few times."

"Yes, sir, of course. Did anything happen?"- I asked, unsure of the reason for his call.

"Did you happen to talk to my daughter today?"

"Not since yesterday. Why?"

"Then I guess you have no idea that she's currently crying from pain, not being able to move. Alone."- I stopped at his words.