Tattoo (Angst)

Everyone had their own personal tattoo. Every single one was unique, there was no one with an identical tattoo. Because this small picture burned the identity of a soulmate into their partner's skin. Usually such a tattoo appeared in middle of puberty and Kaito was surprised to find out his and Aoko's marks didn't match.
He couldn't care less tho, he loved Aoko and wanted to date her. But much to his dismay, she believed far more than him in the idea of soulmates and denied his proposal to become her boyfriend.

Ever since then Kaito cursed his mark. He wasn't even sure what it was or what it told him about his partner. A small magnifying glass zooming in on a soccer ball behind it? But he knew for sure this little brand of hell had ruined his future romantic relationship with Aoko.
Silence had remained for a long time between them and Kaito caught himself missing the family dinner at Nakamori's. But watching the childhood friend he couldn't steal away every single day had been too much for him. Kaito locked his emotions away that time, not how many people assumed thanks to his father's mantras but through the pain which tortured his fragile heart.
No, he wouldn't ever loose his pokerface.

***

"What are you saying, detective?" KID mused; his expression of mischief didn't match his calm and dangerous voice. Shinichi panted, hell he had made sure to meet the thief this fateful day and wouldn't let it slip.
"M-mates. KID, I'm sure we are soulmates."
KID huffed out a displeased noise and crossed his arms, gone all his flashy behavior.
"Mates? Don't make me laugh."

"Just listen up for once, will you?!" Shinichi had felt horrible since he knew who was his mate, not because of the utter shock it was a criminal but the fact once a soulmate had been discovered, they would go to hell and back if unable to bind with their partner.
"J-just look."
Shinichi began to push off his jacket and Kaito felt his eyes growing wide as the detective unbuttoned his hemd, too. There, right and unmistakable in the middle of his chest, a black tattoo of a full moon.
"Who else could be meant with that?! And since I realised it's you, the tattoo changed its colour from grey to... t-to black."

Kaito knew what this meant. He had heard it often enough of Aoko, the tattoo changed colour according to the partner's emotions. Right now... right now Kaito didn't knew emotions. He had locked them away years ago behind a mental wall, unable to break it on his own.
"Kaitou KID... it's destined, we are mates. Show me your mark! I'm sure it resembles me!"
It made sense to the Kaitou. Shinichi loved soccer and as a homicide highschool detective, he kept himself in action every single day. But he couldn't care less. He wasn't born to form a relationship and other senseless cheesy things. He had been born to find and destroy Pandora one day.

As the white magician didn't move, Shinichi gritted his teeth and took a step forward.
"KID please, I can't bear-"
"NO."
His harsh tone made the surprised detective flinch away and he stared right into cold indigo eyes.
"Soulmates? Destined? Fate? Bull. Shit. I don't care, Meitantei. I don't care the slightest. I don't love you. I decide who my partner is going to be, not some halfassed fate."
His nostrils flared as he slowly became quieter, but quietness meant danger from the usual so lively man.
"That is, what Kaitou KID stands for. Freedom. The will to change fate on your own. The power to get up again and again, to make hilarious and otherworldly dreams come true.
That is Kaitou KID.
That is me."
He raised his head, a maniac grin crossing his lips.
"Better stay away from me, Meitantei."
He flung himself off of the windy roof and melted into the night, leaving behind a desperate and pained Shinichi who had no idea why KID had rejected him.

Soaring above the illuminated city, Kaito wanted to cry but couldn't. His eyes had dried out since ages, leaving these once so crystal waterfalls in dry desert. Instead, he grinned.
Yes, he grinned, his most disturbing, maniac and deadly grin. A snicker emitted from his throat and Kaito digged more. Laughter filled the nightsky. Loud and insane laughter, ten times worse than the laugh he had presented to the task force.
"Insane. I am insane. Truly insane. I'm not a human. Humans cry. Isn't this funny? What is happiness?! What is anger?!"
Sobs interrupted his laughter but no tears came. Kaitou KID kept laughing.
"A-all I have are my morals. Isn't this hilarious?! I could kill somebody! Ahaha! Kill, kill, kill! Slaughter everyone and everything, but morals hold me back. Not pity, not guilt. Guilt?! What is guilt?!" he screeched and continued to laugh. With whom was the thief talking? Himself? His body or his soul, then? It didn't surprise him, he had realized his words before he had spoken.

Kaitou KID didn't knew pity. Guilt. Love. Happiness. All those emotions preventing society from turning into killing machines. He lacked this.
All he had were his morals and goals, the idol he used to love so dearly. The dream he carried to avenge his father. To give his empty life a purpose.
He lost everything.
His family, his is childhood friend and only true love and his emotions. Kuroba Kaito was a puppet, a puppet whose strings he allowed society to pull.
Public wanted a heist?
-He pulled one.
The Black Organisation wanted to harm the innocent?
-He interferred with their plans whenever he could.
Aoko wanted him to protect her from sadness?
-He created a smile on his face, able to chase all worries and doubts away.

Kaito danced for society's entertainment, bloody strings ripping his flesh forced him to stand up again and again for a new performance. He never gave up, tho. Kaito was disgusted of himself but kept going.
That one day, the puppet might become a human being again.

Yes there is gonna be a second and maybe a third part, I'm just tired as heck right now and really wanna sleep-