Chapter 2

Chapter 2

12 years later

Evera danced in joy. She was free of the underground confinement, free from the dark and free from only being able to see by the glow of flickering fires. The sun fell through the leaves and lay upon the path set before her as if begging her to wander in. A scene of decaying trees and worn, overgrown grass took her breath away.

The young woman left the cave opening behind her and ran through the trees. She did because she was able to and because she was able to do as she pleased. For the first time in years she did what she wished. She loved the rush of the wind in her hair and the scent of the wild flowers mixed with summer‘s heat. She loved how the bow and arrows she carried bounced on her back from her dashing over fallen branches and leaves. She loved the openness of the forest and the intimacy of nature. It amused her how humans would find this more closed off than their homes. She would give everything to live in the forest. She wished for nothing less.

Dead leaves and small sticks cracked under her bare feet. She was not used to the uneven grounds but she did not care. No matter how her soles protested, she would not slow her pace.

Before long, the pain spread to her ankles and up her legs. Reluctantly, she reduced herself to a walk, flinching at stings that came from the loose rocks scattered on the ground. The soil she usually treads upon was much softer.

Evera soon found a small glistening stream. The stream was shallow, revealing smoothened rocks beneath the shining waters. She bent down and cupped her hands. The rushing water felt cool within her palms. Smiling, she took a sip. The water was fresh and pure; it could only have come from a forest creek.

The young woman cleaned her face of the purple tint around her eyes. Her Purified Sight was simple enough to remove, but much harder to forget. She tried to push the thoughts back and instead welcomed the beauty of the forest into her heart.

She stood and lifted the hem of her dress. A shiver ran through her spine as she stepped forward. It was wondrously cool which sent joy throughout her person. Fits of laughter escaped without restraint, echoing in the trees. Evera walked over the stream and continued to explore the woodland, feeling at long last, peaceful.

On the edge of the forest, a young man stood in the blazing sun, heat burning on his back. He was ready to try again and this time he would succeed. He would not turn back like he had the first four times. William was determined to escape the miserable life he has known. No more pilfering for food or for warmth. No more stealing into homes and taking what isn’t his. It was time for change.

William strode into the ancient woodland. This time he would start his new life. This time, he would let Nature be his savior.

The sun was dropping in the east and the long winding paths’ worn grass turned a shade more golden. The towering orange-leaved trees that spotted the downtrodden trail cast long shadows on the young man’s course. The sight was beautiful but William, in his confrontation of his choices, did not notice the wonderful details in life as he did in his youth.

He had traveled until just before the light of day had started to blend into an orange and purple haze. He dropped his belongings and set camp. By the time the sun had completely vanished beneath the horizon, a fire was blazing and the worn traveler was stretched out upon his blanket. The night stars glistened in the evening sky. The young man rolled to his side and stared at the flames licking the air. It had finally happened. He left his life of misery and strife.

William’s mother had tried her best to keep the family’s home and farm. The King’s taxes became too costly and the land was seized. William and his mother were thrown into the world with nothing but a few articles of clothing and, unbeknownst to the King’s men, the mother’s necklace.

The young man took the necklace out of his bag to examine the last remaining piece of his mother and childhood. He entangled his fingers with the silver chain and gazed at the deep turquoise stone. Etched on the stone was a raven in mid flight. The raven was delicately outlined with a staining black ink and whenever William held it in his hand, it always seemed warm. It was a necklace given to his mother by a stranger William could not forget.

She came to the house late at night, rapping on the door with such urgency, his father had told six year old William to hide and keep quiet. The lady at the door was hidden beneath cloak as to show only her face. She wore her black hair in one long braid hanging to the side. Her face was covered in rain and fine lines that exposed her age though she showed not the slightest sign of severity. She was invited in to dry herself from the falling water. William was secretly told to stay hidden behind the bedroom door.

Sitting by the fire, her dress was exposed from under her cloak before she covered herself once more. It was a stunning white gown, made from fabric William had never seen. After she replaced her cape hastily on her legs, she withdrew a beautiful necklace from a hidden pocket and held it in the firelight.

She told of the necklace and how it was treasured by her people, though she did not explain who her people were. The elderly woman gave it to William’s mother, saying she had no children of her own to pass it on to. Being a kind and generous woman, his mother respectfully declined such an extravagant gift for which she could not pay.

“Madame,” the mysterious woman spoke, “I require nothing in return but the promise of this necklace being handed down to your own child and that he promises to do the same.” As her words were said, she turned her blue eyes towards William’s hiding spot and smiled in the most sincere way.

Next, the woman pulled from her cloak a silver box with a winding handle protruding from the side. She wound the grip and out played a beautiful song. The song was the loveliest song the family had ever heard; its notes rising and falling. The elderly woman sang along with the melody, smiling merrily.

She unfolded a paper she took from the same hidden pocket and handed it to the boy’s father. Written on it were the words she sang. She held the music box out but once again, William’s parents refused.

The woman stood, angered. She thrust the music box into his father’s hand and hurriedly placed the chain and pendant into his mother’s palms and made for the door.

“Keep it safe from any green eyes and keep it proudly.” The stranger pulled up her hood and left into before another word could be spoken.

William held the silver chain and dangled the stone in the firelight. The raven seemed so peaceful and calm. It contrasted everything the feathered creature stood for. Death, cold and insanity held no part with this engraved artwork. William replaced the necklace into his bag and shifted his body to comfort. He closed his heavy eyelids and sighed with a smile. This is the first night of many he could relax into a blissful, uninterrupted sleep. He was free.