Chapter 1 Alena

CHAPTER: 1

It is a freezing morning, on the coldest day, in the coldest part of the year. I'm buried in a mountain of blankets to keep warm. Some people like when the temperature drops... I am not one of those people.

My mother who is strikingly beautiful is coming in to my room to wake me up. She is coming as she does every morning to my room to say 'Good morning princess! It's time to rise and shine!' She has beautiful ash brown colored hair and bright green eyes. She is not tall but not short either. She is skinny and has a tan skin tone. It is almost flawless.

She's wearing thick fuzzy socks, a royal blue long sleeve shirt and long pants as she stays bundled up when the weather is like this. I guess she also hates the cold air.

My mom jumps on to my twin sized bed where I have thick blankets still piling on top of me, to keep me toasty warm, like a slice of bread in the toaster. She began tickling me to make me laugh, and then proceeded to pull the covers back to get me out of bed for breakfast with her and dad. I love mornings because I can choose to sleep in or do whatever I want, as I am still too young to go to school. I use my time to spend with father and mother. We are all so happy, smiling to one another at the table before father would head off to work. My dad is a tall man with jet black hair. He has light gray eyes and I am always captivated by them. He has a fair skin complexion which must be where I get it from because I don't have much coloring to me.

The aroma of my mom's delicious cooking skills is filling up the house. As I excitedly try to guess what we're having for breakfast. Whilst walking downstairs I smell a light fragrance of something sweet, fruity even and the distinct smell of bacon. At that moment, I figure out we are having blueberry waffles, eggs that are called sunny side up. (I didn't quite know why they called it that) and we are having some coffee, well the adults are, but orange juice for me. It's against the rules for children under 10 to have coffee which made me sad. They always tell me I can't have coffee until I am older. It's not fair, all of these rules but everyone shrugs my opinions off because I'm just a little one.

Suddenly, I am 10 years old. I started school a few years back and I only have a few friends at the time. I can also finally drink coffee now, which becomes my only motivation for getting up.

One day I am coming home from school and one of my best friends are walking me home as he usually did but, lately he has been very mean to me. He would pull my hair, make fun of me, ignore me when his other friends are around, and now he has made up a nickname for me that I don't approve of. He is being so crude towards me and because of that I exclaim to him on our brisk walk home that I don't want to be friends anymore.
I walk home the rest of the way alone, and as I'm doing this it's starting to rain. The day is warm but now the wind is beginning to pick up. That day he didn't even offer to finish walking me home as I honestly hoped he would do, so that we could just make up but that didn't happen. That day I ran home crying because I lost someone, probably the most important person to me.

For two years I refused to speak to him and he had become a jerk towards me, worse than it was that day. It's like he forgot all about me. I remember many times that my mom would sit on my bed and stroke my long caramel colored hair which is straight as can be, but at least it's silky to touch. She did this as I cried about him. 'You know darling, Syndir must like you if he is mean to you.' That was what she had always declared to me.

'How could he like me? If you like someone you're not supposed to be mean to them!' I argued that statement because I genuinely didn't understand. She tried to put it all in terms that I could grasp but I don't think it worked at the time.

'Well, sometimes that's how boys can be when they are young. They're still infantile at his age.'

Eventually the two of us did call a truce and expiate the differences we had. My mother... Well, she's the one that helped us make amends with one another. She taught me a lot, she even taught me to be nicer to my little sister... Well, she isn't exactly my 'sister'.