Chapter Seventeen: Black Friday Shopping

"Scrub harder! Don't you see that speck of dirt over there?!" A woman towered over me, yelling at the top of her lungs, black gloved hands clenched into fists. "You are useless!"

Her fiery red hair flowed past her shoulders and the dark shade of her coat contrasted intensely from the white interior of the mansion we resided in. As I peered up at her and noticed her completely white eyes, fear struck through me.

Where am I? Why is this happening to me?

I continued to scrub the large brush against the marble floor, suds of soap scattered on the surface as droplets of water ran down my arms. My black dress contrasted intensely against the white apron I wore, both of which were drenched from me cleaning the floor for what seemed like hours.

"Ow!" Ariel cried out and I turned my head, gazing at the man in curiosity. There he was, polishing the grand staircase, as a blonde woman slapped him across the face. "Cordelia, please stop!"

"You don't get to tell me what to do! You are beneath me, you and all of the pathetic men in this poisoned world!" Cordelia screeched, white eyes glaring down at him. "I am your Supreme and you must bow down to me!"

"Did I tell you to stop, girl?!" The red-headed woman asked before kicking me in the ribs. I let out a gasp as the wind was knocked right out of my lungs. "Keep cleaning!"

Struggling to get back up, I peered up at the woman once more, eyes widening when I noticed the darkness pooling out of her. It was similar to the way the dark power emanated from Michael, only less intense. I tilted my head and watched as the darkness slithered around me.

"Hey!" A blonde girl yelled with her arms crossed over her chest. Her white eyes were aimed at Ariel. "You forgot to clean my bathroom!"

"I already cleaned it!" Ariel proclaimed, but the girl raised her hand and caused Ariel's body to be lifted off the floor. "M-Madison! I promise you, I scrubbed that bathroom from top to bottom."

"You know what I hate more than the help? Servants who think they have a right to talk back!" She hissed and slammed his body against the wall. A maniacal laugh erupted from her. "You're such an idiot for thinking men are the superior ones. Clearly, you didn't know me well enough to realize that you're wrong."

I watched in horror when Ariel began to gasp for breath, his cheeks turning a sickening shade of purple as Madison choked him.

"What are you staring at, girl?! Keep cleaning!" The fiery redhead screeched and stomped on my hands. Tears pricked my eyes as pain shot through my fingers and up my arm, but I kept my lips sealed and continued to clean the floor.

Estella.

My head shot up at the sound of my name being whispered in a low, cool tone.

Come outside, Estella.

Goosebumps rose on the skin of my arms as the rough voice trickled through my ears and down my spine. Eyes wandered around the room, but saw no trace of anyone speaking to me. Cordelia was busy sticking a fire poker into Ariel's shoulder, while Madison and the older woman cackled evilly.

I just want to talk, my dear. Please, come outside.

Slowly, the large black mansion doors behind me creaked open and caused a blinding white light to pour into the room. I gasped when I noticed a few shadows lurking by the corners of the entryway, as if waiting for me to approach them.

Do not be afraid, child. You will not be harmed.

I glanced behind my shoulder and shuttered at the horrific sight of Ariel being burned by Madison's cigarette butts.