Chapter Nineteen: Flowers and Skirts

"You're back! How was your week off?" David asked nonchalantly, half his body peering behind my office door. Bright blue eyes were centered on me as I typed away on my laptop.

"Fine." I answered. Behind the screen, I bit down on my bottom lip in an effort to hide my blooming grin.

After I had spent a few days mourning my parents' death anniversary and healing from my own death and resurrection, Michael and I had spent some time together. We mainly spent time in the field behind his home, safe from any prying eyes, as we chatted for hours on end. Our smiles and laughter surrounded us throughout our time together as we practiced using our powers within the confines of his property.

He helped me forget the painful memories of my parents demise, easing the ache within the scars upon my heart.

"Is there something I can help you with?" My eyes flickered towards David's smirking face when I still felt his gaze on me. Fingers froze above the keyboard as I raised a brow at him.

"Nothing, I've just been wondering how you've been. Last week must've been pretty hard for you." He explained, still standing in the hallway.

"It was, but what's happened... happened. It's all in the past and all I can do is try to move on, while always holding them close to my heart." A sad smile graced my lips and I took in a deep breath. "That's all anyone could ever do in my situation."

"Why do you always seem so positive about everything?" David asked. "You always look on the bright side of things."

"Because if I don't, who will? You?" I scoffed in a playful manner. "David, if the whole world had to rely on you to be the optimistic one, we'd all be doomed."

"Being the pessimist is my specialty, besides being a kickass psychologist." I watched as David casually strolled into my office with his hands behind his back. A shy smile graced his beautiful sculpted face, shining blue eyes contrasting perfectly with the black shade of his hair.

"Who lied and told you all of that?" I chuckled, typing away at my laptop while David continued to walk closer to my desk. A brow was raised at his direction when I felt his gaze on me. "David, seriously, what do you want-"

"Here." Surprise blanketed me when I saw the bouquet of bright sunflowers in his hands. David handed them to me shyly. "This is.. for you."

They were wrapped in lilac tool, their vibrant yellow petals soft as a feather to the touch. 

"David... What's all this about?" I held the bouquet gently in my hands and was in awe at their simple beauty.

"You're one of two people I can tolerate in this place, the other being Lillian." He confessed, scratching the back of his head with a small grin. "Everyone else makes me want to slam my head against the wall. So, in a way, I care about you and this is my way of saying that I hope last week wasn't too rough on you and that you have a good day today."

Eyelids blinked up at him in surprise at his kind words. Usually, whatever came out of David's mouth were vulgar jokes or something cocky about himself. I never would have expected him to have a heart to heart with me.

"It's also my way of saying sorry for throwing up at your apartment that night we all went to the club." David said in a light tone. "That wasn't exactly how I wanted things to go that night."

"It's okay, you're forgiven. Besides, I guess things weren't meant to happen between us." Shrugging my shoulders, I watched as disappointment flashed across David's face.

"Estella, I know I'm not the nicest guy around here, but I was wondering if we could start over and be...."

"Friends?" I offered and David let out a laugh.