Chapter Twenty-Seven: The Best Flavor

"So what do you think?" Michael asked sheepishly, his mouth curving up in a crooked smile. We strolled down the boardwalk, hand in hand, the stars glistening above our heads alongside the moon. 

"It was delicious. Thank you!" I replied, giving his hand a gentle squeeze.

After I finished cleaning myself up, scrubbing away the remnants of my training session from my body, Michael had taken me to his favorite restaurant. He and Miss Mead frequently dined in the seafood venue, which was located outside of the city. It was situated in a quaint town, right on the beach. Below the dock's wooden planks, the waves rose and crashed onto the sand. The smell of salt wafted into the air and curled around my nose. Michael and I paused, watching the sea lap up against the dock, as if it was attempting to touch us. 

"I'm glad you enjoyed it." The golden haired man grinned and I turned to him. The warm breeze brushed past us, causing a few strands on Michael's head to lift up and curl around his face. 

Without even realizing it, I raised my hand and brushed the golden curls from his cheeks, a warm smile gracing my lips when I noticed his cheeks redden at the action. Michael let out a cough, shifting his head to the side in an effort to hide his shyness.

"The sky is beautiful tonight." I commented in an effort to divert his attention. He nodded his head in agreement and aimed his gaze upwards. Above us, countless stars winked down at us, as if joining us in our flirtatious moment. "You can't see the stars like this in the city." 

"No, you can't, which is a shame." Michael sighed. He nudged me on the side and pointed at the array of pastel-painted buildings that lined the shoreline. "Are you in the mood for some dessert?"

"When am I not?!" We laughed before rushing towards the shore. Michael tugged me to a powder-blue shop, which was decorated with white tables and chairs outside its doors. 

Through its wide glass windows, I could see throngs of people mingling inside. It was brightly lit, the lights showing off the light wooden floors and turquoise furniture. Behind the white tiled counter, countless containers of ice cream stood proudly for the customers to admire. They created a rainbow of colors, tempting the public with various flavors. Mint chocolate chip, butter pecan, rocky road, cookies and cream, and more. My mouth watered at the sight and I took a step closer, clasping my hands together in awe.

"I'm in heaven." 

Michael chuckled at my reaction, grasping my shoulders and rubbing them gently. "Alright, what flavor would you like? Do you want it in a cone or cup? It's my treat!"

"No, Michael! I already let you pay for dinner, let me cover this one." I pouted, glancing over my shoulder at him. He stubbornly shook his head and kissed the top of my head.

"What kind of gentleman would I be if I were to let my lady pay?" He asked. "Not happening!"

Please?

"Nope." Michael shot down my inquisitive thought within a second. I sighed, knowing it was a lost battle. 

"Okay, surprise me then." As I gazed around, my attention was caught by a building that was halfway down the boardwalk.  Shirts, sweaters, hats, and other souvenirs swayed on the metal racks stationed outside its doors. "While you order for us, I'm going to check out that shop over there!"

"I'll meet you over there once I'm done. Don't wander off too far!" Michael called out as I began to walk away. I gave him a small wave, indicating that I heard him, as I continued to dodge the pedestrians walking around me.

Mindless chatter filled the air, mingling with the energetic seventies music that streamed through the speakers. String lights connected lampposts to each other, their golden hues casting down on the people that walked below its bulbs.