Chapter 1

ZAIRE'S POV

Fuck, it's a monday.

I've always hated the beginning of the week. It meant that I had to go to school and waste a solid 8 hours of my life doing... I don't know really. Listening to some old people scold me for how I dress? Sit in a class and write notes? Have them tell me how I'm wasting my teenage years 'cause I don't give a shit about schoolwork? Yeah, I guess so.

Well, I gotta get ready still. I've already been held back a year; like hell am I gonna let any other shit happen if I don't go.

I did all the stuff I usually did; roll out of bed, brush my teeth, take a cold ass shower, all that. At this point I might as well be on autopilot. Doing this every day just makes it so repetitive. But at least, there was something I had to do that I actually care about.

I buttoned up my shirt, all the way up to the button before my collar. As I looked into the mirror, I adjusted the mandatory grey tie every kid had to wear since elementary.

Despite me being required to wear a the high school uniform, I actually like how it looks on me. The white, short sleeved button up and grey pants actually showed off my figure. The only problem I have with it isn't that I had to wear it; it's how the teachers would nitpick every single detail about it like it's the end of the world.

Then, I started brushing my dark brown hair. The hair that would never stay still no matter what I do to it. Even though I'm not the 'most well behaved' kid in the world, I still prided myself in how I looked. It's something I was lucky enough to be born with, and the only good thing about my life.

What next, cologne. Right. I grabbed a bottle from my desk, giving myself a generous spray so I don't smell ass like the other kids do. I'll admit, I'm mostly doing this for a certain someone so I'd get their attention, but of course I'dI'd never tell anyone that.

"Zaire!! Breakfast is ready!!!" The booming voice of my father yells to me.

"Coming dad!" I say back, giving that handsome sucker in the cracked (but still useful) mirror one last glance to make sure everything was right, before I'd go downstairs.

First I grab my backpack, then head downstairs to not get my ass kicked. I could hear my own footsteps thudding on the ground as I rush out of my room, avoiding tripping down the steps as I went down them. Guess muscle memory helped me avoid falling face-first into the floor. This shit is starting to creak too, it better not break out of nowhere and kill me.

I turn right into the kitchen, smelling toasted bread and instant coffee like I do every other day. My dad was there, stirring his cup of bittersweet caffeine next to my cousin.

I sigh. The man looked like a mess.

His black hair was fucked up, and his eyes, those eyebags just seemed to get darker and droop lower everytime I see him.

"Jayie! Jayie!" Hannah calls out to me while reaching with her tiny hands.

"Morning Han," I say. "Whats up?"

"I finish my food! You slow," she shows off her now-empty bowl to me.

"Nah, you're just too fast," I say back. I'm not in the mood to play around, but I don't wanna be an asshole either. I turn to look at my dad, his dark brown eyes met mine.

"Morning dad," I say, taking the toast from the plate. "Were you staying up late again? You look like shit."

He rolls his eyes. "So that's how we're gonna start off this morning, huh? You're one to talk about looks."

I gave him a glance of protest. "Hey, at least I look presentable."

He walks over to me, dusting off my shoulders and straightening my tie. "You should be grateful you took my looks. Where is your belt?"