11: Cole's New Friend

The two of them left the coffee shop and started walking around the mall, looking for something to do. There were so many stores, they had no idea what to do. There were at least five stories packed full of shops, restaurants, and other things. Luckily, no one had recognized them yet. Wearing everyday clothes had its advantages.

Lucky for them, with Cole's small stature and longish hair they could pass as your average straight couple holding hands. Now if someone took a longer glance, they would definitely notice Cole's very masculine face and body and then they would be screwed. However, there were so many people that no one cared. It would be even worse if someone recognized them as the Ninja. They would be hated throughout all of Ninjago and shunned by everyone. It's not like they had anywhere else to go either.

Either way, they somehow ended up in an animal shelter. This mall really did have everything. They walked around, looking at the poor animals being kept there. A woman was rushing around, looking very stressed. Her hair was a sloppy, messy bun, and her clothes were wrinkled. Cole decided to ask her what was wrong, and if he could help. He first let go of Zane's hand.

"Excuse me miss, but is everything okay?"

She turned around and sighed.

"I'm fine." She said somewhat harshly.

"I'm sorry for bothering you," Cole said, putting his hands up in defense.

She sighed again and sat down on one of those cheap school chairs.

"I'm sorry." She said, "It's just there's a lot going on here."

"Maybe we can help?" Zane suggested. "We would love to, right Cole?" 

He nudged Cole with his elbow. 

"Sure thing," Cole said.

"Thank you." She said, "You see, I work here alone except for my manager who only shows up occasionally. Having to take care of at least twenty animals every day, and most of them have health problems, really takes a toll on you."

The two ninjas nodded in understanding. She stood up. Then she realized what she heard.

"Excuse me, did you say his name was Cole? As in the Master of Earth?" 

The two looked back and forth at each before nodding in agreement.

"Yes." The both said awkwardly.

"AWESOME!" She said excitedly, "Then you must be Zane Oh My Goodness are you two on a date?!"

"Yes?" Cole said, unsure of himself.

"YES I TOTALLY SHIP IT AHAHAHHAHAHAHHA!" She exclaimed loudly.

The two ninjas just sorta looked at her and stood there until she calmed down. She let out a 'phew' and then started talking again. 

"Sorry, I don't normally get that excited."

"It is fine," Zane said uncomfortably. 

"If it's okay with you, I could really use some help feeding all of the cats and dogs right now. They take the most time."

"Of course." The two of them said.

"Where is the food?" Zane asked politely.

"It's in the back." She said, "Here, follow me."

They followed her into a small back room. With Cole's super strength, it was easy to carry the heavy bags out of the room. They made quick work of the situation and all of the animals were fed by noon.

"Is there anything else we can do for you?" Zane asked.

"Oh no, you have already helped me more than enough. I can't ask you for anything more than you've already given. I should be the one asking if there's anything I can do for you." The woman said. 

Zane then noticed Cole wasn't next to him anymore. He looked around and didn't see him. He walked back towards the animals only to see Cole sat on the ground staring almost entranced by one of the cages. Zane squatted down next to him and looked in with him. In it was a kitten with sandy colored fur, curled up with a stuffed bird. 

Cole stood up and asked, "What's this kitten's name?"

The woman looked and said, "Oh she doesn't have a name. She came here just a few days ago. We found her on the streets, she must have lost her mom. She loves that plush we gave her. She won't let go of it."

Cole quietly said, "Oh."

Zane had never seen Cole so invested in something that wasn't his friends or training. He knew what he needed to ask.

"Cole, would you like to adopt the kitten?" Zane said, smiling.

Cole blushed and slowly said, "Yes."

The woman smiled at the two of them and said, "Of course you can take her. Since you helped me so much, I'll give you to her for thirty dollars and throw in food, a collar, a bowl, and a cage."

Cole's eyes lit up and said, "It's a deal!"

Cole took his time filling out the paperwork as Zane smiled. He had never seen Cole blush before. He was so excited, he could hardly contain it. Finally, Cole was done and only had one thing left to do.

"What would you like to name her Mr. Hence?" The woman asked.

"Mango." He said, beaming.