Chapter 1

*Flashback*

      I climb the tree. The sun is brighter and brighter and I'm getting higher and higher. Finally, I reach the top sitting on a branch watching the clouds in the sky move peacefully. I've been here for quite some time now. I should probably go down now...

*End of Flashback*

Evan POV 

     I woke up with a start remembering that day. That horrible day. It definitely wasn't one of my favorite days to look back on, but I've been having nightmares of that day the last few nights. I think the only reason I've been thinking about it because today is the first day of school. If there was any day that brought me any type of anxiety it would definitely be today. I have to be faced with the fact that I don't have any friends and I'll be alone for the rest of my life. 

    Anywho. While sitting on my bed thinking of all that my mom walks in. I didn't have any plans of telling her about my dream. 

"Have you been writing those letters to yourself? Dear Evan Hansen, today is going to be a good day and here's why." my mother says.

"I started one," I say looking at my mother.

"Those letters are important, honey. They're gonna help you build your confidence,"

"I guess," I say skeptically.

"Hey, I know! You can go around today and ask the other kids to sign your cast. How 'bout that?" 

"Perfect,"

"I'm proud of you already," shes say energetically.

"Oh, good," I said weakly.

    She looks at me for a moment before sighing and turning towards the door before saying, "I love you, Evan. Have a good." And then she's gone. Gone for work not to return until the late hours of the night.

Connor's POV

     I wake to Zoe screaming in the hall for me to wake. I roll out of bed and look at my clothes; a dark grey tee-shirt, a small black hoodie, and black jeans. I guess this is good enough I thought. Once I got downstairs I put on my black combat boots and laced them up. While walking to the table to eat I told my mom I wasn't going to school.

"It's your senior year, Connor You are not missing the first day," she says warningly. 

"I already said I'd go tomorrow."

"He doesn't listen. Look at him, he's probably high," my dad chimed in.

I'm actually not high.

"He's definitely high" Zoe adds in.

FaLsE

"I don't want you going to school high, Connor," my mom says defeated.

"Perfect, so then I won't go thanks, Mom!" I said getting up from the table.

    I walked into the kitchen looking for something to drink. I pick up the milk container which was almost empty, then proceed to drink it. As I finish the milk Zoe walks into the kitchen yelling "Mooom, Connor finished the milk."

"If you're not ready I'm leaving without you," she says to me.