Preference ▹ How You Met

A/N: I don't know the order in which the survivors arrived at the camp, so for Daryl's, just imagine that Daryl and Merle arrived before Shane and the Grimes family. This got more emotional than I thought it would... Y'all, I just hurt my own feelings writing Rick's and Carl's... I miss them. Sorry this is so long

Requested by: @Deefool <3

Rick: 

You first meet in high school since you were Shane Walsh's little sister and you were only a grade behind the two of them. You had a massive crush on Rick throughout the rest of the school years, but of course, you'd never tell a soul considering your best friend, Lori, was his girlfriend. 

You stay friends into your adult lives, and when Shane calls you on the phone with a trembling voice to alert you that Rick had been shot on duty, you were one of the first to arrive to the hospital where he was being treated. You would hold his hand and quietly tell him about what was going on in the world while he was in his coma, only when you two were alone of course. 

When the world went to shit and Shane alerted you and Rick's family that he had died, you didn't believe it. Not just because you were unwilling to, but because of the look you saw in your brother's eyes as he explained it to Lori. It was no secret to you that Shane had the hots for the Grimes woman, he had for a long time and one night he had a bit too much to drink after a hard work day and spilled his guts to you. Not just his secrets, but his literal stomach contents. You were disgusted.

You then reunite at the camp when he first arrives with Glenn and the others, you immediately recognize him when he stumbles out from behind the truck which made your heart stop. Carl and Lori noticed before you could even begin to move towards him, both of them throwing their arms around him in a fit of tears. You offer him a small smile when he catches sight of you and your brother, Shane. You look to your older brother in judgement, knowing exactly what was going on between Rick's wife and best friend. A sickening feeling in your stomach at the thought of Rick finding out the news from one of the other survivors. "I'll tell him" you had thought to yourself. "When the time is right.." 

" 

Daryl: 

You two meet at the first camp, he arrived with his brother, Merle, a few days after you had with Shane and your family aside from your father. You weren't entirely fond of the Dixons, you found that they were both kind of assholes for no reason and they weren't exactly too fond of the other survivors that they were now staying with. 

One day, you noticed that Daryl was coming back from a hunt with a large amount of Squirrels he had shot tied to some ropes and wanting to be helpful, you offered to carry one of the bundles. He grunted at you and brushed you off very quickly, but you were determined to help even if he didn't need it. Eventually he grew tired of your talking and shrugged off one of the bundles of the dead animal, handing it to you before sighing in annoyance.