Chapter 6

(A/N)

Kinda a filler, but please don't skip because this chapter includes necessary information for the rest of the story.

*****

Scott's POV

I slowly walked down the sidewalk, looking into the window of every single building I passed. I was on my way to the optometrist's office for my appointment. I saw that there were restaurants of all kinds, several offices, and there was even a drug shop! I sure wouldn't be stopping by there anytime soon. I checked my phone to see what time it was, because I had a sneaking suspicion that I was taking way too long.

Shoot! I had six minutes to get to the optometrist's office or I was late for my 4:15 appointment! Why do I have such a bad habit of losing track of time? I started running down the street, hoping I could make it. But sometimes my long legs can be a curse. I was running so fast, I almost missed the building. I stopped in front of it and suddenly I felt my palms get sweaty. Why was I so nervous over a doctors appointment? I gulp and slowly walk in the intimidatingly tall, gray-stoned building.

I walked in and looked at my surroundings. There was a small waiting area, with a little table littered with several coloring pages. There was also a huge assortment of glasses, waiting to be tried on at the right side of the room. I walked up to the front desk. "Hi, I'm here to pick up my contacts." She didn't raise her eyes from the computer. "Name?" "Scott Hoying." She typed something into her computer. "Please wait until we can see you to a doctor." I gave her a puzzled look. I didn't know that I had an actual appointment. "I'm only supposed be picking them up." "We have to make sure  that we gave you the right prescription." I was still confused. Isn't that what they did last time I was here? I just decided to go with it. "Okay." I walked over and sat in the waiting area. I decided to play a game on my phone to pass the time.

I was almost done beating level 178 of Best Fiends when one of the drawings on the kids table caught my eye. I bent over to get a closer look at it. It was of a little girl running away from what looked like Pinky from Pac-Man. But then I noticed her eyes. One was a normal human shade of brown, and one was red. Bright scarlet red. I suddenly started to feel a little bit worried. What would provoke such a small, innocent, young little girl to draw something as disturbing as this?

"Scott Hoying?" May thoughts were interrupted by the receptionist calling my name. I get up and slowly make my way towards the doctor standing next to the front desk, blankly staring at me. He's only about 5'9" tall and wore a smile that reminded me too much of the Mona Lisa. And his eyes were gray. Like, inhuman gray. As in the-stone-on-this-building gray. It kind of creeped me out a little bit.

He showed me to an empty room and motioned me to sit down in a weird looking chair. "My name is Dr. Grube and I will be assisting you with your contacts follow-up." He grabbed a brown box from what I assumed to be his desk and opened it for me to see. My new contacts.

"Shall I show you to the restroom so you may put them in?" I nodded and he ushered me to the end of the hallway to where the restrooms were. I opened the door and stopped in front of one of the sinks with a mirror. I look down at the top of the contact box. "Fantasma Contacts: Helps you see, what you need most." I thought that their slogan was a little lengthy, but who am I to judge?

I took out the contacts, and just to make sure there's nothing wrong with them (because this place is already creeping me out enough), I held them up to light to examine them. Small and invisible. just like they should be.

I put them in (ew), and I looked at myself in the mirror. They look normal, felt normal, and I could see so much better. This "Fantasma Contacts" does a great job at what they do. I took the box and made my way back to my room. Dr. Grube was waiting for me, still blankly staring at me with his cold, gray eyes. "Do they fit okay, son?" I shuddered. I never liked when people called me "son". Only my dad was allowed to call me that, and that meant that I would never have to hear it again. "Yeah, they fit fine." "No, no, no, 'fine' is not all right. Let me do one last check." I silently groaned to myself. How many checks and re-checks did they need to do before I left? Again, I just went with it "Okay."

He brings a strange looking machine up to my eyes. "Okay, just look into the eye holes and try not to blink." I do as he says. Once I'm all ready, he says, "You will see a bright flash, but please don't blink." I nod. I wait for the flash and suddenly I am blinded by red. But I don't blink. "Thank you son, we are all finished here. You may take your new contacts home."

I just nod and hazily make my way out of the building. All the way home, I feel like any second I'm going to fall over. What did that flash do to me? Too tired to question myself, I just go to my room and throw myself onto my bed. Forgetting everything else I need to do that night, I quickly fall into incredibly deep sleep.

All I knew is that that flash did something to me, and that thing was making me tired. But what I didn't know, is that while I was snoring away, a small breeze went through my room and blew a small piece of dust off of my contacts box. Without that piece of dust, the wind revealed the slogan's true message:

Helps you see what you need most.