Chapter 8

(A/N)

I have little to no excuse for updating this late. All I can come up with is that I was out of town with no signal for a week, and that this chapter was a little hard for me to write, not because there is anything triggering, but because I was fresh out of ideas for a while.

Anyways, I made it a longer-ish for you guys and added an attempt at fanart (see above) for the story to try and make up for it. And a huge thank you to all those who have still stuck with this book for the past month (ugggghhh), and I hope you enjoy this long awaited chapter!

-MiraCurePTX 🍓
*****

Scott's POV

I go through the rest of the school day with no more peculiar interruptions. I finish my homework during recess so I don't have to do it at home. I need every second I can get for preparation for tonight.

As soon as the bell rang at the end of the day, I practically sprinted out of the building. I didn't even ride the bus home. I ran an entire two and a quarter miles all the way back to my house. And I wasn't even that tired when I got there. And it was worth it, because I beat the bus by four whole minutes! Maybe I should consider trying out for the cross-country team...

But anyways, I burst into my bedroom door and immediately empty the contents of my backpack onto the floor next to my bed. After making sure that my backpack had absolutely nothing in it, I started running all around my house like a headless chicken, grabbing things left and right.

By the time I was done, my backpack was so heavy I could barely lift it. It was filled with several flashlights (I wanted to have more than one in case one ran out), two ropes (To climb into the window I left open earlier), a book on the signs of paranormal activity that I had borrowed from the school library that day, plastic bags and rubber latex gloves (In case of evidence), and a granola bar, as I wouldn't have much time to eat dinner.

I heaved my two thousand pound bag over my shoulder and headed downstairs. I snatched a pen and notepad and wrote a quick note to my mother, so she wouldn't call the police to try and find her "missing" child.

Dear Mom,

Sorry I won't be here when you get home tonight.
I'm going to be out with some friends, if that's okay.
I won't be home until really late tonight.
See you tomorrow.

XOXO, Scottybuckets.

I smiled at the childhood nickname. She would like seeing that. I left the note out on the kitchen counter, so she could find it. I then left the house and started my walk towards the school.

*****

I looked around for signs of anyone following me as I slowly munched on my granola bar. I arrived at the school way later than I wanted to. Apparently, the nineteen grams of protein my bar held didn't keep me going for long.

I snuck around to the side of the building where the cafeteria and hopefully, the entrance to my answers were.
The window wasn't to high above the ground, but still to high for me to just jump up and climb in. So I got out the stronger of the two ropes that I brought and tied one end of it into a small loop.

My junior boy scout training had finally come in handy.

I tied the strongest knot I knew how, and pulled on it to test of it was secure. Then, I channeled my inner cowboy and started swinging the rope in small circles above my head. I looked around for the handle of the window, which was pretty much the only safe thing I could latch onto.

Once I had found my target, I squinted my eyes, dug my back foot into the ground, took a deep breath, and with as much strength as I could muster, I threw the rope towards the window.