Chapter 3

╔═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╗

          ╚═══*

          ╚═══*.·:·.☽✧    ✦    ✧☾.·:·.*═══╝

let the new day shine its light on me

Birds chirped all around the old Victorian home, the sound was almost as soothing as the Jimi Hendrix vinyl that danced from the record player on the front porch. An old lady rest in a rocking chair, her eyes closed while enjoying the summer breeze. Her faded, chestnut skin hang from her bones like the crystal necklaces that hung from her neck and rest onto her sagging breast.

"Mama!" May sang as she walked up the steps of Loretta's Bed and Breakfast, "I have some good news for you!"

The old lady pulled her eyelids apart and turned her attention to her granddaughter with a gentle smile, "Hey there, honey. What news you got for me?" She had a thick southern accent that gave her a sweet charm, she radiated warmth and care.

"We have four new customers, and they're musicians!"

"Musicians, eh? Hmm, no one will ever be as talented as my Walter." She smiled to herself at the memory of her late husband who sang her the most beautiful tunes she's ever heard.

"Yeah, they might even be able to bring in some business, they can play at the bar on Saturday's, people will hear and want to stay!"

Loretta's Bed and Breakfast was the family's business, they loved giving folks the opportunity to spend time in such a peaceful home. It was a popular get away back in the day, but as the years moved on so did their customers. The once cream colored wood has now faded and began to rot, vines have taken over the nooks and crannies, foliage was so lush that the house could barely be seen from the road. May explained that she invited a group of guys she met at the cafe and-

"Now hold on," this caught Mama's attention, "you thought they were cute, didn't you, sugar?" The old woman let out a hearty belly laugh and slapped her knee. May blushed and crossed her arms. She did find them cute, but that's not why she offered a room, she knew they needed help and she just wanted to be nice. Mama was still laughing when she noticed a group of young men walking in the distance. She went silent, smirked at May and said, "Ah, I see."

"What are you talking about, Mama?"

Josh, Jake, Sam, and Danny had walked to the given address after finishing up their breakfast. The walk was far and exhausting in the heat of the summer sun, but they didn't complain, they were grateful to be given a place to stay. Jake noticed that the sign that hung in the driveway was faded and cracked, covered in years of unmaintained plants. He gave Josh a worried look, like maybe this wasn't the best decision. But Josh elbowed him playfully and smiled, he didn't mind that the place was a little rundown.

"You boys must be our new visitors that my grandbaby invited!" Mama called from the porch, her voice loud but welcoming.

There were a few cars parked in the yard, Jake felt comfort from the presence of other people in a strange new place. He gave a weak attempt at a smile.

"Yup! We want to say thank you for allowing us to stay..." Jake hesitated when he stuck out his hand to greet her politely, he wanted to call the old woman by her name but he wasn't familiar with it, maybe she was Loretta?

"You can call me Miss Loretta or Mama L, baby," she chuckled, "now don't think that you can get by without paying us some sort of rent. I'm gonna put you young men to work, and May here says you boys are musicians, is that true?"

"Yes ma'am, we're known as Greta Van Fleet back in Michigan, we usually play at local bars, we'd be happy to play here to bring in some business." Sammy said.

After a few minutes of rambling and trying to avoid an awkward silence, May offered to give them a tour of the house. They followed her inside and were greeted with the smell of fresh baked cookies, the interior was much nicer than the exterior. The furniture still had an old Victorian feel but it was clean and new, ornate rugs lay on the wood floors, velvet sofas decorated the main living room, a chandelier hang over head. This was much more than the boys had expected. She took them to the kitchen and dining room, which were both as elegant as the living room, and finally took them upstairs to their bedrooms.

"You guys are in luck, we have two rooms available now, not just one." May said. That wasn't much better because that still meant they had to share with someone, but at least they were given the privilege to a little more privacy now. Sammy set Iris down and let her explore her new temporary home, she hid under the dresser.

The rooms were big, with floral wallpaper and king sized beds, huge windows and shelves full of antique books. The walk in wardrobe, that was almost as big as his room back home, reminded Danny of their clothes that were still in the van. Shit. May said she'd take her truck and see what she could do and bring their belongings back as well. She was fine with going alone but Josh insisted that he help her, plus he had the keys to the car.

"Fine." She said with a slight eye roll, but she thought his eagerness was cute. She shook the car keys in her pocket and slung her backpack over her shoulder, "behave yourselves."