Chapter 11

The next morning, Grayson was waiting in my driveway in his truck. I trudged out of my house with a scowl on my face, still upset from last night's game. As if he were reading my mind, he asked me, about the game.

I groaned and leaned my head against the back of the seat.

He placed his hand on my thigh, immediately grabbing my attention. I looked over at him and saw his huge, hazel eyes staring right at me. "You did amazing last night, Lee. Your entire future isn't ruined because of one bad throw."

I nodded and sighed, still not feeling better, but a little at peace. He took his hand off my leg and turned the key in the ignition. He pulled out of the driveway while turning on the radio. This time, he let me pick the songs.

When we arrived at school, Loren was waiting for us at the door with her boyfriend, Kyle. "Hey, cutie!" She yelled as she ran up to me and engulfed me in a hug. Her outfit was entirely too small, and it looked like her tits were about to fall out of her spaghetti-strap tank top the entire time she was running towards me. "That damn shirt. Really, Loren?" I asked.

"I was feelin' myself today," she replied as she hooked her arm with mine, completely pulling me away from Grayson.

"Oh, and by the way," Loren said. "Coach Alvarez said she wanted to see you."

My breath was caught in my throat. My heart sank. My eyes watered. I nodded at her and unlinked our arms, jogging towards her office at the end of the hallway. I knocked on the door and stood in the doorway. She looked up at me from a stack of paperwork and greeted me with a smile and a wave, as if to tell me to come in. Definitely a good sign.

"Camden, Camden, Camden," she said over and over. "That was one shitty throw, girl."

I sighed. "I know, I know, and I'm so sorry Coach but my arm was hurt really bad from practicing the other night and I just sort of had a weird spasm in it or something bu-"

In the middle of my panicked excuses, she cut me off by saying, "they want you."

"W-What?" The smile on her face was bigger than any smile I've ever seen on her before. "I got a call from the head of athletic recruitment this morning. He said that up until that last inning, you played a fantastic game, and he sees a lot of potential in you that he doesn't usually see in girls from smaller schools. If you want it, the scholarship is yours, Camden."