Chapter 13

That night, Grayson drove us home at about 9:15, but I ended up going inside at about 9:30 due to a goodbye kiss gone too far. I pecked him on the lips one last time before jumping out and walking to my front door from his driveway. Once I was inside, my mother was sitting on the couch holding her head in her heads.

"Mom?" I said as I closed the door. "What's wrong?" Her head shot up and she wiped her eyes with her sweater sleeve, sniffing a few times. "Oh, nothing. Just dozed off."

I could tell by the sound of her voice that she was lying. "Come on, momma," I said, pretending to whine to try to lighten the mood. "Leah, please!" She snapped. "I'm fine!" I was taken back by her tone, but I dropped it. I walked across the living room and down the hall to my room.

I went to bed at about 10:30 after showering, packing my school bag, and washing my face. I was just about to fall asleep, until a loud crash echoed throughout the house, followed by loud voices that I immediately recognized as my parent's. "Get off me!" I heard my mom scream.

I shot out of bed and ripped my door open. Dashing down the hallway to their room, I pushed the door open and saw broken glass lying all over the floor and my mom on the ground next to their bed, my dad on top of her with her wrists pinned to the ground. He was yelling various cuss words at her, slurring every one of them.

"Dad, what the hell!" I yelled. I darted forward and tried desperately to pull him off of her, but was pushed back by him turning around and slapping me across the face. I held my cheek in my hand and grabbed my mom's phone off of her nightstand, dialing 911.

The 911 operator told me help was on the way, but I still felt helpless. My mom was sobbing, and trying to push him off of her. I didn't know what to do, so I tried to pull him back again. He was practically roaring at this point, at both of us. The broken glass from their bedside lamp was all over the floor, and I ignored the feeling of it slicing bottoms of my feet.

I was finally able to pull him away, and he fell backwards with a large thump! My mother scrambled away from him, pulling herself to her feet using the blankets on the bed. He stumbled around, before going at her again. I lunged forward and grabbed him by the arms. "Stop! Leave her alone!" I yelled.

He turned around to face me and pushed me backwards with all his might, causing me to smack the holy hell out of my head on the floor. The room started to spin, and all I could hear or see at this point was a frantic Meredith entering the room, muffled voices and screams, and the sound of police officers banging on the door.