06| Small Steps

06| Small Steps

It was your last day at school. Classes began and ended like it always does every day with the exception of a few students bothering you when they felt like it with others leaving you alone, watching the scenes happening with their eyes. Then they would leave you alone with your schoolwork for the rest of the day. Like always, the quirkless girl achieved the highest score, beating the rest of her classmates. She either had messy or neat handwriting. She worked quickly or worked at her own pace, reading each entry to have a clear understanding to answer the question below.

No matter how messy, neat, quick, or slow she was, she always turned her papers in just in time before it was due. You were this extraordinary student. A one of a kind. No matter how much stress school put you in, you always pulled through with piles of books and many sheets of paper teachers assigned students to do. Some failed behind, trying to be to the top, however failing to do so.

Turning in your sheet, you were one of the firsts to turn it in. No matter how it was, the teacher can still read your answers even if it was the Japanese language in scribbles. Returning to your desk, people glanced at you, admiring and questioning how the hell do you do it? A simple answer, really.

You wanted to be the best out of the best. Wanting to feel at least satisfied without a quirk.

The studious work you put through, you did feel satisfied. You wanted to keep it that way. Keep it that way as long as you can. Even if you studied, get high scores, and was the top student, you weren't a total nerd.

Like everyone else, you enjoyed what makes you happy through your day. Having a hobby—interest that made your life diverting, even when life sometimes getting a little blue. Those interests made you make new friends that also had similar interests you had! Photography was one of them. When school ended, you headed to your after-school club, ready to spread the news about your acceptance at U.A.

Before you left, a finger tapped your left shoulder. Your teacher had a smile on his face, happy to gain your attention and what he had in mind. "Yes?" You asked.

"Would you like some extra credit?" Infrequently, he would give students extra credit if they're well-behaved and do their work for school. He figured you too, would like some extra work to do to since you're leaving for six weeks at another school. The old man had a written assignment in mind for you to do.

"Yeah, I guess."

Mr. Sugiyama was pleased, "Okay, this will be simple, not so hard." Hearing this, it relieved you. You didn't want to have your hands full. "It will be an essay."

You know what? Scratch that. You hated essays with a passion. Now you didn't want the credit.

"A fun one, you see." You raised an eyebrow, confused. What was so fun about writing an essay? "You're going to write about a person who gained your attention. Why you chose them in the first place—what made you interested. I want the basics such as name, hero name and whatnot." You nodded, and he gave you a paper about each bullet point to write about in your essay. "I want the full tea."

You cringed. At times he tries to relate to the younger generation. A few times it would work, although it's mostly a cringe fest for his students. You faked a laugh, "Okay... is that all?"

"Indeed, it is. Now go on. I'll see you next month."

The hallways were plastered with club events and events that were held in the school or out the school. Some were the school's news about mostly good things and what athletes placed during their sports events in a specific sport they were in. Popular across the world (mainly South America and Europe) was football (No, not American football) and that's what the latest news was about. Some kid placed second in this big event people across Japan were crazy for.