~Three~

"We cannot change our past. We cannot change the fact that people act in a certain way. We cannot change the inevitable. The only thing we can do is play on the one string we have, and that is our attitude."
- Charles R. Swindoll

 Swindoll

❄️✨❄️

A few weeks later, Derin learned that her husband-to-be, Daniel L.C. Hartley, had arrived from the United States, and she will be opportune to meet him. Her aunt informed her that Daniel had to give his consent to the marriage, as his decision counted. It turned out that they did not want to force their son into an arranged marriage, but no one cared about her feelings and her decision. She guessed that Daniel had no idea that his parents were arranging for him a bride, and she wished he will not agree to the marriage.

However, he should not even accept such an idea. This was the twenty-first century. Why would he agree to marry a stranger enforced on him by his parents? Such alliances were only common in the twentieth century, and not in these times.

Yet, no matter how true this was, she could not push away the thought that he will accept and ruin both their lives.

"He would not accept. I am not of his class. I am sure he has better options, so he'll not choose me." She thought aloud the night before their arrival.

"He could." Her inner self stated.

"Geez. Stay off my thoughts, will you?" She scowled at herself.

"I am your thoughts." Her innersole retorted.

Exhausted with this, she shook her head and closed her inner controversy.

This was the common therapy Derin had gotten used to ever since she was a child. She had an inner soul who was her chat buddy whenever she was alone. But sometimes, her inner soul countered everything she thought, and was always annoying.

 But sometimes, her inner soul countered everything she thought, and was always annoying

{August 29th, 2016}

The Hartleys arrived as dated, and she got to meet the aforementioned Daniel L.C. Hartley for the very first time. He was tall and well-built, with an athletic mesomorph shape, and he looked like those dudes who lived in a gym their whole lives. His squared face highlighted his jaws perfectly. He was flawless and Derin couldn't help but admire him.