Chapter 2: Breakfast Cut Short

“Psst. Ash, wake up.”

          “Mmn, not now Brock,” Ash mumbles.

          “Pika, pika.” Pikachu nudges Ash, but gets no response.

          “Pi, Pika!”

          “Pikachu, hush. Not now.”

          “Pika…chu!”

          “WAAAAAA!” Pikachu shocks Ash with a jolt of electricity, fully waking him.

          “Shh Ash, keep it down,” Brock says.

          “Pikachu! What the hell was that for?!” Ash moans as he gets out of bed.

          “Pi, pika pi, pika pikachu.” Pikachu starts waving his arms around and points to Brock.

          “Huh? Brock, what’s going on?”

          “Well, it’s nine in the morning. I already checked and made sure your mother and Misty are still asleep.”

          “Wha?! Then why wake me up?!”

        “Shh, keep it down. I wanted to make sure they were asleep so I can cook breakfast for everyone.”

          “But… why?” Ash asks, confused.

       “I want to thank your mother for making us all that food yesterday. So I thought, what better way than to make a meal for her in return.”

          “Hmm… Not a bad idea. But, why wake me up?”

          “So you can help me, of course,” Brock says. “You need to thank your mother in some way too. She was so busy yesterday preparing your welcome home party that she barely had time to enjoy it. Giving her breakfast in bed is a great way to thank her. I’ll make it and all you have to do is take it to her.”

          “Wow, thanks Brock. That’s really thoughtful of you,” Ash says with a sincere smile. “Alright, let’s do it! Just let me change real quick and we’ll get right to it.”

          “Great. I’ll be in the kitchen with Pikachu getting started.”

          “Pika!” Pikachu says as he nods.

Brock and Pikachu go into the kitchen and start preparing while they wait for Ash.

          Ash steps into the kitchen and sniffs the air.

         “Mmm, bacon.” Ash’s mouth starts watering at the delicious aroma engulfing the room.

          “Bacon is almost done. I just need to cook the eggs and put the toast in the toaster. Ash, get two trays out and place two plates on each of them.”

        “Okay,” Ash grabs two trays from the drawers and four plates from the cabinet. “Who’s the second tray for?”

          “Misty, of course.”

          “Oh, she’ll love that.”

          “Yeah, I know.” Brock says, laughing.

          “Pika!” Pikachu agrees as he sits on the kitchen table with a bottle of ketchup in his hands.

          Ash starts laughing. “Ketchup for breakfast, ay Pikachu?”