Part 9

1 year later...

You stopped questioning your decision to stay. In fact, you were glad you did. Your relationship with them had grown, especially with Klaus.

This morning you woke up on the couch in his painting room. This was normal. When you couldn't sleep, you'd come here if Klaus was up as well. Sometimes you talked, sometimes you didn't. It was peaceful, just lying on the couch while he painted. You were always able to fall asleep.

The only thing that made this morning different from the rest was that Klaus was in a mood. It usually took him until the afternoon to get into one, so you were curious about what started it so soon.

You sat up and rubbed your eyes. "What's wrong?"

He was furiously pacing. "Rebekah has betrayed us."

"What the hell are you talking about?"

"She has spilt our secrets to another person! Someone she's been seeing without telling us."

You frowned. "Okay, first of all, Rebekah is a grown ass woman and doesn't need to tell us every little detail of her life. Second, what makes you think she's spilled some beans?"

"I found them in her room. Apparently she's been seeing him for months. No doubt she's told him everything about us!"

You dragged a hand down your face. "Let me get this straight: You found Rebekah and her lover in her room. They've been together for months. Is that the only reason you have to think she's said anything, anything at all, that she shouldn't have?"

"It's more than enough!" Klaus insisted.

You snorted. "Please. You sound like an overprotective, paranoid maniac, Nik."

Klaus vamp sped out of the room and back. He was holding what looked like some kind of dagger.

"Whoa," you said. "What the hell is that, and what are you doing with it?"

"This," he replied, "is a dagger I had made a long time ago. If it's stabbed straight through one of my siblings' hearts, it will put them in a magical coma. I can leave it in for however long I wish. This will be Rebekah's punishment."

You gaped and jumped off the couch, waving your arms. "Whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa, whoa. Whoa. Hold up. Wait just a fluffin minute."

Klaus sighed. You ignored him.

"You're gonna take that," you pointed at the dagger, "and stick it in Rebekah's heart?! All because you think she betrayed us, and you have no proof?!"

"The proof will be in her reaction!" He replied. "She has nothing to fear if she did nothing wrong!"

"Um, actually, Klaus, I wouldn't blame her for being afraid of that thing! Think about it! Having a blade stabbed in your heart and being left somewhere for who knows how long?! That's terrifying! Put that thing down!"

He opened his mouth to argue, but you cut him off. "And don't give me the B.S. about her lover! You should know your sister well enough to know that she wouldn't divulge anything."

Klaus scowled, but you didn't back down. You raised your eyebrows and gestured to the dagger. He vamp sped out of the room. You took off after him.

You leaned over the railing, looking out into the courtyard. Klaus was approaching Rebekah, dagger in hand. You rushed down the stairs and jumped between them. You held your left hand up to stop Klaus.

"Klaus, do not–" you cut yourself off with a shout. You looked at your hand. The dagger had gone straight through it. Blood was seeping out around it. It hurt, but at the same time felt strangely numb.