Chapter 18 - Brave, Smart, And Violent

H I C C U P

Monica let go of me at last and walked away, petting Toothless.

"Bye, Hiccup." She said as she waved goodbye.

I could only wave back, words wouldn't be able to escape my lips.

As I saw her leave the cove, Toothless growled at a nearby boulder.

"What's wrong, bud?" I said, petting his head. He flicked my hand off of his hand and pushed me closer to the boulder.

"Alright, alright, I'll check it out."

I walked over to the boulder, but didn't see anything. I circled the boulder. My eyes widened when I saw Astrid lying on the ground.

Did she see all of that?

I shook her until she woke up.

"Astrid! Astrid, wake up!" I said as I shook her.

She woke up and looked at me. She frowned and pushed me away.

"WHAT DO YOU WANT?" She screamed. She stood up and grabbed her axe.

"Astrid, what's wrong?" I asked, watching her cry.

"What's wrong? Are you serious? You were just making out with that blond chick, Monica! And you have a dragon?" She pointed to Toothless.

"I happen to like blond girls!" I said.

"I'M BLOND YOU IDIOT! WHAT, YOU DON'T LIKE ME?!" Astrid screamed, pushing me.

"I like you!" I said.

Astrid froze.

"What?"

"I. Like. You." I repeated.

"You do?" Astrid calmed down. "But I'm so mean to you." Astrid released tension on her axe.

"Yeah, that's what I like about you. You're brave, smart and violent." I said, walking to Toothless. I sroked his head, trying to calm him down.

Astrid didn't respond. Instead, she walked over to us and stroked Toothless.

"What's his name?" She said, scratching his head.

"Toothless. Monica came up with that name." I said, opening his mouth and revealing a mouth without teeth.

"He doesn't have teeth?"

Toothless showed his teeth.

"He has retractable teeth." Astrid said, smiling at Toothless.

I sighed. "You're going to tell the others, aren't you?" I looked at Astrid.

She looked at me. "Tell them about what?"

"Toothless."

"Oh, no."

"He's the one I shot down the other day." I said, pointing to his fake tail fin.

Astrid glanced at the fin and looked at Toothless. "We kill them... for no reason. They only take our food so they can feed themselves. But better yet, their not dangerous." Astrid said, petting Toothless.

"And he's a Night Fury." I said.

"Yeah, he is." Astrid said, placing her hand on his snout. Toothless smiled. "And the sweetest dragon." Astrid said before punching my shoulder.

"Ow! What was that for?" I said, rubbing my shoulder.

"For making me have to see all of that." She said.

"Well, I'm sorry?" I said.

Astrid leaned in and kissed my cheek.

"Ew, it tastes like spit." She said, wiping her lips.

I smiled.

Brave, smart, and violent. The three characteristics I look for in a girl.