X

Severus's parents were at it again and he was about to retire to his bed, when a sudden whirlwind swept in, carrying the sound of the water stream and the rustle of dead leaves from the field. He gazed out of his window, like he almost always did and caught a glimpse of the Evans girl who lived across from them. She was frolicking across the field, going over to the river, her favourite spot under the tree and the sweet sound of her laughter swirled along with the breeze, rising through several octaves, seemingly surpassing the vicious arguments of his parents, until finally it dissolved in the sunset. He smiled, glad that he would be spending the afternoon with her instead- if she wouldn't mind the intrusion.

Knowing somewhere in his mind, that this was just a happy wishfulness, he set off to where the girl was playing on her own. Suddenly, there was an earth-shattering noise, the ground on which he tread, shaking under his feet. Fearfully, the little boy turned around to see his childhood home spring to life; it was the beast that came to him so often, those piercing red eyes and that thunderous voice. In a flash his dream turned into a nightmare. It reached one gigantic arm out and picked him up, to bring him closer to its face in order to intimidate.

He was here to get his confession.

The monster set him down abruptly, almost dropping him to the earth, and Severus stumbled forward. He was home, but the place looked different- he didn't recognize the cold ground under his hands, nor the clearing he was in, bordered on three sides by a dark and impenetrable forest. There was also a cliff, flying off into even further blackness.

And on the cliff's edge- Lily.

She had her back to him, but she was looking over her shoulder, smiling, and gave him a silent wave.

"Lily," Severus yelled, feeling too heavy to stand, as he did every time he traversed over to the world of dreams. "You have to get out of there!"

She didn't move, though she looked a little worried at what he'd said.

Severus dragged himself forward, straining at the effort. "Lily, you have to run!"

"I'm fine, Sev," she said. "There's nothing to worry about."

"Lily, run! Please!"

"But sweetheart, there's-"

She stopped and turned back to the cliff's edge, as if she'd heard something.

"No," he whispered to himself. He pulled himself forward some more, but she was too far, too far to reach in time, and he felt so heavy-

There was a low sound from below the cliff. A rumbling, booming noise. Like something big was moving down below. Something bigger than the world. And it was climbing up the cliff's face.

"Severus?" his friend asked, looking back at him.

But Severus knew it was too late. The real monster was coming.

"Lil!" he shouted, forcing himself to his feet, pushing against the invisible weight pressing down on him. "LILY!"

"Sev!" Lily shouted, backing away from the cliff's edge.

But the booming was getting louder. And louder. And louder still.

"LILY!"

He knew he wouldn't get there in time. Because with a roar, a cloud of burning darkness lifted two giant fists over the clifftop. They hovered in the air for a long moment, over his friend as she tried to scramble back. But she was powerless. And the fists rushed down together in a violent pounce and grabbed her, pulling her over the edge of the cliff.