Chapter 13 - Late Tea

Hi all! I know you guys have been waiting forever. I sincerely apologize. 🙏 Here's the chapter you've all Been waiting for. Sorry for grammar mistakes. Enjoy!

--------------------------------------------------------

Chapter 13 – Late Tea

“Let go of my hand!” Xiao Ming whispered in annoyance.

Tian Jin playfully tugged the other’s hand and responded with a smile.

Xiao Ming huffed and rolled his eyes. “What an annoying and embarrassing guy!” Wait and see; Lightning will strike you any moment now. Humph!

When the Emperor and Noble Consort came into view, Xiao Ming gasped and yanked his hand away from Tian Jin’s grasp to hide behind his back.

Tian Jin paid no mind to Xiao Ming yanking his hand away from him. Instead of being annoyed, he found Xiao Ming’s little action to be cute. His face closed in on Xiao Ming and playfully whispered into his ear. “Later when we are alone together, I’ll show you how embarrassing I can be.” He smoothly revealed a wicked grin, hinting at something naughty. Xiao Ming glowered at Tian Jin, disgusted with the man’s bold flirtation and wickedness. Tian Jin laughed and walked ahead, leaving a fuming Xiao Ming standing alone in one spot. Tian Jin’s steps came to a halt as he turned his head back toward Xiao Ming. “Ming’er, come along. Let’s not make father Emperor and mother consort wait any longer.” One of his eyebrows quirked up as he continued, “Or did you want me to pick you up like a princess?”

Xiao Ming gasped at Tian Jin’s shamelessness and fumed. “Who says I want you to pick me up? I’m a grown MAN, I can walk myself.” He quickly walked ahead of Tian Jin all the while mumbling something under his breath about the heavens and a certain man’s thick face. Tian Jin only smiled and followed.

They both quickly arrived in front of the Emperor and Noble Consort Wang. Tian Ru Shi stood clinging to Noble Consort Wang with a big smile on her chubby face.

“Xiao Ming greets your Majesty and the Noble Consort.”

“Greetings to Father Emperor and Mother Consort.”

They both greeted the Emperor and Noble Consort Wang. Xiao Ming carefully looked at the Emperor and the Noble Consort. This was his first time seeing them clearly and up close. The last time he saw them was during the marriage ceremony through his red veil. The Emperor looked kind and magnanimous with a noble air around him. He did not appear like the cold and domineering ruler Xiao Ming had originally thought him to be. However, it was exactly that kind and magnanimous disposition that caused Xiao Ming to take caution. After all, how can such a man keep the court officials in line and hold the world within his hands? How could he cause enough fear in Xiao Ming’s own father to plead to him to marry the 3rd Prince? How could he make a decree to end his own son’s future potentials? As for the Noble Consort, her facial expression looked soft and beautiful despite her age. Her build was small and slender. Those things combined made her seem like a gentle and ethereal fairy from storybooks. Yet again, Xiao Ming considered if her heart was the same as she appeared to be. He did not believe that that was what kept her in power beside the Emperor for so long. Xiao Ming may be young, but he was not an idiot to believe the Consort to be a forgiving innocent and the Emperor to be a kind, selfless ruler. As he studied their image in his mind, he kept a modest smile on his lips.

Xiao Ming kneeled to them and spoke, “Your Majesty, this lowly one has made you wait for so long. I sincerely apologize. May you hand out a punishment befitting of my crime.”

Tian Jin frowned and tried to pull his male bride up, but Xiao Ming refused to budge. Looking at Xiao Ming’s insistence to remain on his knees, the Emperor laughed aloud while Noble Consort Wang covered her smile with a silk handkerchief. Xiao Ming was slightly startled by the laugh. What did it mean?