Chapter 8

Two weeks have passed.

It is almost October, the month where most Mages' Banquet is held. If a new mage is going to pass the leader role, the process is also held in the banquet. It is my day when I become a new leader very soon.

Then, the "wedding" for me and Brian has hosted this November. I am still thinking about what I should do. I just feel like everything is being forced, even when I don't want to.

Before the banquet, I still hold one mission with Miguel.

Soi went outside as soon as possible, as soon as the sun rises. The pathway to Krieger City is a tiny forest and it has a very nice view when the sun is about to rise.

But then, I saw a person in the far distance, but I can't identify who he is. He suddenly stopped walking, and slowly said,

"Don't get close to him."

Then, he disappeared into the forest. I'm just confounded about if that was an illusion. That voice seems to be familiar, but I just can't make sure who that is.

I kept walking until I reached the gate of Krieger City. When I arrived at the gate, I saw Miguel standing next to it.

"Hey, Sharon," He said with a warm voice, "I never expect you to be this early."

"When did you arrived? It's like, almost before sunrise! I left early because I didn't want to see my mom."

"About a few minutes ago. We are trained to be early when I first arrived and took my first training."

The mission target is to clean out the monsters around the Dark Forest next to the Paladin's City.

Oh, I forgot you didn't know about the Dark Forest. It was supposed to be a normal forest just like the others until the Earthquake after the Second War occurred. The collapsed gaps released some energy from the Nether, or Maikai we call it, and spilt out some unknown source of energy, polluting the forest to be dark, absorbing sunlight. It turned out better after the God of light found it out purified a part of their energy. It remained unknown that the mobs they create or who will come out suddenly.

I and Miguel are told to kill the monsters in the middle of the forest. There's a huge flat stone in the centre of the forest, and a pillar showing the north direction of the forest, leading to Paladin's city.

So we all arrived so early, then we started to go there early. Nothing could go wrong, right?

But somehow, something went wrong.

When we entered the Dark forest, some black snakes suddenly came out and rushed at us.

"Careful!" Miguel shouted and pulled out his sword in an instinct.

I ran far away from the snakes and gave them a good strike of bolts. it seems to be dead, then revived to be alive again.

"I guess there has to be a formula to kill them properly, "I claimed.

"Hmm, do you know any?"

He asked me with a kind look, I'm sure those emotions only appears when he's with me. It seems, so appealing...

I found the bottle I bought in the Mages' Market, the pure light dust which can purify some dark substance. I carefully put it at the blade of my weapon and shot another bolt at them.

They magically burnt into dust! I guess some stuff in the market still works.

"Woah, I guess the magic variety improved a lot when I'm gone," Miguel said in surprise, softly took the bottle of light dust and gave his sword a little wipe. The dust is a bit rusty, however, it still works to purify dirty objects.