Chapter 6 - The Meet Up

1:15 PM

I'm already here at Tengoku no tabemono. I'm early and I didn't know what to do with the time that I had on my hands. I approached the waiter who was waiting at the front.

"Do you have any reservations sir?"

He greeted me with a smile on his face. I guess I could try and mention David's name. Maybe he already had a table reserved.

"Is there a reservation for David Park?"

I hesitantly asked him. He was quite surprised. I guess David did have a table reserved for us. The waiter didn't say another word, instead he pointed me to the direction where the table was. Clueless, I just followed the directions of the waiter. I walked with caution because as I walk my surroundings was getting more and more secluded. Like only a select few persons are allowed to walk towards this part of the restaurant. It took me about three minutes to reach my destination, only to be greeted by a big ass gate with a big ass bodyguard in-front of it.

"Name?"

The dude had a scary deep voice. I was hesitant to speak but suddenly a man appeared behind the gate.

"He's with me Paul"

It was David, the big guy suddenly shivered. I do not know if it was from fear or he was just cold. Either way he let me in and I joined my good friend David. A part of me is still scared of David. Maybe because everyone who hears his name shakes in fear. I'm also scared that he might be someone who is involved in something illegal, mafia style or something of that kind. I certainly would not want to become a part of something so complicated and dangerous. I like my life simple and safe.

"Here man take a seat. You must be hungry. Heavy work load today huh? A person does not usually eat their lunch at this time. Ulcer would be waiting for you at the corner".

He started the conversation to break the silence and tension that was coursing through the air. I guess he realized that I wasn't really all that comfortable.

"So, man I think you are kind of wondering how I got rich so quickly."

He's right, the idea is starting bother me. Paired with people who are really afraid of him. I can't help but to wonder what type of job he has.

"Well, yeah it already slipped through my mind from time to time. Would you mind telling me about it?"

I had to play it safe, I might get into trouble if I didn't.

"Yeah sure I'm not going to hide it from someone who saved my life!"

Everyone paused for what felt like a minute but was only seconds. I didn't know how to respond and so did the people around us. I guess they were thinking, how would I save their boss where in fact their boss is some kind of mafia who everyone was afraid of.

"Well, where should I start? I guess I could start from during our college years. Well you see my father already had a business running when we were just starting out our college years. It was a construction type business wherein loads of people will order materials from us and we deliver it to them. It was a small business at first. After our first year in college, I decided to go home and check on my father and his business. I don't know how he did it but somehow, he got most of the construction companies to order their materials from us. It was an amazing feat! After just a year we were the biggest hardware store in our town! It wasn't a small town either! Its size was just about the same size as Hawaii. I couldn't have imagined that the business would grow that big and that fast! Of course, I congratulated my dad on what a find job he just did managing his business. I'm sure my mother would have been proud also of my dad if she was still around."

"Your mother? I thought your mother was still alive and kicking? You have never mentioned it to me that your mother has already passed away. My sincerest condolences man."

Come to think about it, he hasn't really mentioned his mother that much. We have been together for almost more than 4 years and I'm still quite clueless on his background story.

"Yeah, it was my step mother who was still alive and kicking. I never mentioned my biological mother because I still couldn't accept the fact that she was already gone. She died because of a heart attack. No one knew that she was already in so much pain. Not even me, who was always by her side since she was a teacher at my high school. It still pains me every time I try to remember her. So, could I just continue my story?"

Shoot I think I just hit a soft spot inside his heart. I shouldn't have asked him such a sensitive question.

"Hey man, I'm so sorry for asking. Yes, please do go on with your story."

"Its fine everyone's curious and you're someone I can trust so it's really fine. Don't stress too much about it. Hmm, where was I? Oh, after spending my summer at my dad's place everything went back to normal. I went to school and my dad continued his journey to become the worlds largest hardware store. My dad would text me Goodluck every time when I have an upcoming exam. He didn't forget his child while chasing his dreams. I am grateful for him because he became my rock when things were tough at school. To cut the story somewhat short, lets fast forward to our graduation day. My dad was there at my graduation, his smile was insurmountable. I can't paint it, he was sincerely happy that I already finished my schooling. After the graduation ceremony though. He dropped an immensely heavy load on my shoulders. He told me that I would be the one who will be managing his hardware empire and that he was already sick. All the happiness that we were supposed to be experiencing all went away in just a split second. There wasn't really much of a conversation after he told me those things. We just went out and spent the rest of the day relaxing at a café."

After I while I remembered that I still haven't ordered yet. At the same time a waiter served food at our private table. Wait, did I say waiter? I meant "waiters" there was a lot of them. One was carrying an extra table for our food! I was in shock since I really haven't ordered and I don't even know what kind of food they served at the place. It was my first time here.

"Oh! The food is here! How about we eat first before I continue telling the tale of my riches."