Chapter Two: Home Sweet Home

• Dedicated to Who Ever Is Still Reading

This is dedicated to all those people who are still reading. Vote, comment and... whatever you do to make me happy!

Chapter Two: Home Sweet Home

A happy family is but an earlier heaven ~ Unknown.

I went back home, soaking wet and annoyed. I held my butterfly designed umbrella in one hand, which made me look mental to the eyes of any passer-by. Like the idiot I was, I ended up remembering that I owned an umbrella and had it with me when I got back home. So I was soaking wet because I had to walk, or run if I was being specific, in the rain. And I was annoyed because of my idiocy.

I looked up at the dark clouds, thinking that they probably hated me enough.  But then changed my thoughts to the usual depressing ones: The rain’s crying and it just can’t stop. It needs to let it all out. It needs to let out all its anger out on us – the humans and plants and animals. I sighed and bunched my hand into a fist, ready to knock on the door. I changed my mind at the last second. Why knock on the door when I could sneak in unnoticed? I thought cleverly. That way, I could stay at home without waking up Mum and avoid any trouble and/or lectures!

Before I could change my mind, I quickly knelt down to the floor mat, picking it up and taking the spare key from underneath. It was my Mum’s ‘secret’ emergency key. But it wasn’t exactly ‘secret’ at all because she always randomly takes it out when she forgets the keys in the house right in front of all the pedestrians. How secret was that? Any thief could just take the key out from under the mat and casually get into the house. There’s no trouble there for him.

I rolled my eyes at my thoughts. I could mentally image the thief taking the key, putting it in the hole and walking in. We might as well be helping him carry the stuff out as well!

I twisted the lock and went in. instead of doing my usual routine of jumping onto the sofa and switching on the TV and shutting out the reality in my world out and living the TV dream, I looked up the stairs, wondering if I should check on my Mum. She would have probably shut the phone and went back to sleep, not bothering about the fact that her new job was on the line.

She was pretty careless about anything that involves the word ‘work’. Just because she was practically a genius in everything, she didn’t have to care if she got fired a hundred times; she could easily get a new job in a flash. It isn’t a surprise that every time she does get fired, she gets another better job within a week or so. It’s annoying but it still does save our lives. I just can’t imagine living rough or having no food and water.

I climbed up the stairs, jogging my memory on which steps squeaked and which steps didn’t. I managed to get to the top without making a sound. I could really become an actor or an agent. I had the talent right?