Chapter Five: Scream For My Ice Cream

There is a garden in every childhood, an enchanted place where colours are brighter, the air softer, and the morning more fragrant than ever again.  ~Elizabeth Lawrence

Saturday - The day where you could enjoy your weekend without the tortures of homework and chores. It was the day where you are the laziest and leave what can be done on a Saturday to a Sunday.

But for me, it was a whole lot more special. I made it a habit to go to the Park and play on all the children's ground. Well, only in the places that I could fit in. But the swings were nice, even a thirty year old could ride them. Which is exactly what Flossie said.

"Aren't you a bit old for swings?" I asked, holding onto the rails of an empty swing.

"No, I'm pretty sure that you are allowed to have fun at any age," she replied. She crossed her arms and laughed as we watched a little kid around the age of seven run up and snatched the swing out my grasp. He was scowling at the very idea of 'big people' taking his swing, I suppose.

"So, aren't you going to go on a swing?" she asked. I raised  my eyebrows at the kid who was already swinging high. He must have been a 'park kid' - those kids who practically live at the park.

Sadly I wasn't. I only used to go occasionally. Flossie was the only one who bothered to take me to places. Like the park, the shopping mall, the funfairs, the ice cream shops... Etc.

So I guess it was like she was a second mother and father to me. Always right by my side.

I was awoken from my thoughts when Flossie suddenly took my hand, and zoomed off with me.

"What are you doing?" I hissed, afraid to raise my voice even by the slightest.

She didn't reply.

"Flossie!" I exclaimed quietly. She still didn't reply and carried on walking. Instead of slowing down, she speeded up. We got to her car, and she practically jumped into her seat. I mimicked her, afraid of disobeying. It looked pretty urgent.

She drove pretty fast, but not fast enough to get a speeding ticket. But every moment or so, she looked the behind her back, checking for someone or something.

I wasn't sitting in the passenger seat, but in the back. I lowered my shoulders cowardly, wondering about what got her so agitated.

'Is she alright? Is something bad going to happen?' I thought, speechless even in my own mind.

We were nearing a busy road and that seemed to make Flossie look even more worried. 'What's happening?' I pondered.

"What's happening?" I asked, echoing my thoughts.

We reached a red light so Flossie looked back at me, her blue eyes widened with some emotion that I just couldn't pinpoint.

She looked back just at the second the traffic lights turned to green.

We were off, again.

*

*

*

The Mall. We ended up at the mall out of all places. But using my criminal mind I thought, 'The Mall - the best place to hide. It's full of people and getaway routes.'

People were indeed passing by in their large numbers. Flossie was definitely watching out for someone and not a something. She looked around and behind herself a lot.

It wasn’t exactly the best of feelings to figure out that there were eyes behind my back.

"Flossie, someone above is always watching you, you know," I pointed out light heartedly.