Chapter Four: Tackling Life Once More

“Life is like riding a bicycle. To keep your balance, you must keep moving.”

― Albert Einstein

"It was such a funny time don't you think?" Flossie laughed, wiping away an invisible tear. It was a habit of hers that I'd grown to love. She always had done that when she found something funny. But most of the time there were tears that softened her heart.

I laughed along with her, remembering the times when I used to be completely oblivious to the whole world; the olden and golden days in which I was everyone's rays of sunshine. I had kept my parents together because of me, but that sunshine ran out when I realised how messed up everything really was. Too bad that being both of theirs daughter wasn't enough to keep them married and happy.

Flossie had been recounting her more reliable version of what I used to do as a kid. Her version was more reliable because I was more likely to have forgotten what I had done from the mere age of six.

According to her, I loved the taste of a live butterfly even though I never attempted to taste one. She said that I always used to say that butterflies would taste nice just because they were bright, like sweets. If only the world was that simple. Knowing what was good and what was bad would be measured by seeing how bright it was. Then, there would never be failed relationships because in everyone's eyes, they would be so bright, that they would feel blinded.

Flossie stopped her light laughter and looked at her watch. She frowned a little. I knew what would be coming. "You've been here for a couple of hours, your Mum would be really worried," she started, looking into my eyes. She was trying to call me down. I guess she was going to be cautious in case I lash out. I don't blame *her* though. Flossie was cautious about everything. And after telling her about what had happened in the morning, she had every right to be cautious. Josh and Mum were never responsible for anything so if they were being cautious with me, it would be piss taking. Excuse my language.

"What's the time?" I asked, breaking free from my thoughts.

"Eleven O'clock. I know you've been here for three hours but your Mum would still be worried. Like any Mother would, she might have skipped work to look for you." I nodded, seeing her point of view. I didn't want to get into more trouble, did I?

"Well thank you," I said politely, standing up from my seat. "I think I'd better go now." I waved, said my goodbyes, and left my old friend's house.

At least I could have some light in my life.

*

*

*

I went back home, just as I had told Flossie that I would. But Flossie was wrong for one thing, my Mum wasn’t home. I used the key that was under the rug to enter the house after I tried knocking on the door multiple times. Josh obviously went to school, but I don’t blame him. He’s been a true friend to me but I still felt angry on how he didn’t say anything when I got all angry on my Mum. But what can he do? Add some more shouts of protest and set it off to become tenser? Not really, Josh was a peaceful sort of guy. He’d never gotten into a fight before. And I wouldn’t let him have his first.

I went into the kitchen and made another bowl of cereal. I ate it really quickly and then went to my bedroom. I swapped my bunny top for a school shirt and ran back down the stairs. I was going to school, despite the fact that it would be break time soon.

Might as well go to school since if I stay at home, I would end up dead from boredom. And if I go anywhere else, I could get stopped by nosy police, I thought. I rolled my eyes. Whenever I’m at school, I wish I was at home. And when I get the chance to skive, I wish to go to school. Oh well, what my brain says is what my brain says, as my brain says.