Dysfunctional

"So what now?" Bucky walked up to me as I was standing on the balcony of his apartment...or hut, I really don't know what it was, I immediately fell asleep as soon as we got to the city. I had taken a shower too after waking up. Now I felt that some tension within me was gone.

"I don't really know where to start." I sighed. I really didn't know. Our team was down by more than half, so the odds weren't looking so good.

"How about telling the others that you're back." Bucky suggested. He leaned on the rails and we both overlooked the city. Wakanda was probably the only place that got back on its feet in an orderly manner.

"I'm going to the compound tomorrow." I told him. He turned and looked at me intently. "I gotta do something."

He looked away and remained silent.

I couldn't figure out why. But I knew something wasn't right with him.

"What is it?" I asked him.

This is the longest we've been together without interruptions and it seems like we've never actually been together, almost as if that spark was gone now. Was it really gone ?

"I can tell something's not right." I continued. "Is there something that I did or-"

"No, there's nothing wrong." Bucky's eyes widened and he began shaking his head. "God no! It's just that it feels like- well to me it feels like you don't feel what we once were and I can hardly remember any emotions of who I was."

"You don't want this?" I motioned between us. Things had changed so much.

We had changed so much. None of us were the same. None could go back, even if we wish we could.

"I know I still care deep inside." He looked right at me and I could see that he was being honest about this. And I was scared of what he had to say. "But I'm not sure of how to continue this, what if I'm not the same guy you loved back then?"

"That doesn't bother me at all." I placed a reassuring hand on his shoulder. "I want you to feel comfortable and confident with yourself. And if that means that you don't want to be with me then-"

"I do!" He cut me off surprised that I even said that. "I'm just...not the same maybe. I don't really know now." He took a step closer to me. "But I know one thing for sure," he placed my hand over his beating chest "what I feel is more than real. No amount of brainwashing could ever get rid of that." By now we were standing just mere inches apart, our shallow breaths becoming one. "Nothing ever will."

I wrapped my fingers with his and held our hands between our rising chests. "Then let's be dysfunctional together."

He smiled and leaned his forehead against mine. We were both relieved. It might've felt awkward to bring up that topic of what we were, but nothing could beat the chaos going on inside of me by standing that close to him.

Our relationship may not be exactly the same as it was all those decades ago, but that love was still there.

"I think we've always been dysfunctional." He chuckled lightly. It was good to see him happy.

Well that very much is true. "But we're a little wiser now...I think." I laugh along with him. We're doing our best y'know.

He tilted his head and shook his hand. "It's more like our bodies have gotten older but not our spirits. We still have a lot to learn...hoping that we don't get arthritis before then." He joked.

"I don't think I can get arthritis." I shrugged. "I'm part Eternal, and those people live on for thousands of years and are really hard to kill."

"Doesn't mean they can't get arthritis, or back pain, or noisy joints." He joked while rotating his metal arm. That thing hardly made any sound, there was a few mechanical hums every now and then. But I still liked it, very much.

"Is it weird that I miss the aesthetic of the old arm." I ran my hand across it to take a good feeling of it. Who wouldn't want to? "Not the Hydra part of it, but the silvery shifting parts." I traced small patterns on his biceps and damn were they as prominent as his human arm. "This one is still cool."

"Shuri made a lot of them." He said proudly. I could never thank Shuri enough for helping him heal. There wasn't ever a time where she didn't make him laugh or atleast smile. I owe it to her to bring her back. To bring all of them.

They were all good people. This wasn't their fault.

It was mine.

Bucky had noticed my sudden change of thoughts because he reassured me once again that things were going to be better, whether we found a solution to bring them back or if we found Thanos and avenged all of those we had lost.

"What if they are in a peaceful place now?" I asked him. "Would it be inconciderate for us to bring them back just so that they can fight evil for the rest of their lives."

"Bad people dissapeared too." He added. "Should they get to live in paradise?"

"We'll need to compromise." I dreaded. "But that's gonna be hell to do. I don't even know where to start."

"You got Sanctums at your disposal." He pointed out. I didn't think he'd remember that about me.

"I'm not a sorcerer. I just hung out with them." I huffed out. As annoying as he would get sometimes, I actually missed Stephen. There had been no news about anyone returning. I didn't know if Peter, Tony, or Stephen were even alive anymore much less the cloak of levitation. "It'll take time for me to read every damn book there is."

"We have time." Bucky took my hand and waltzed me back towards his bedroom. "We have a lot of time. And a lot to catch up on."

"Yes we do."