Chapter 1

--- Ch. 1

You've got suckers' luck;

Have you given up?

Patchkit was swirling in the water. Petalkit had her claws hooked in Mapleshade's fur, only to be knocked off by a particularly violent wave. Larchkit wailed her name, clinging desperately to a branch. Mapleshade fought towards the branch, gasping and coughing as the water tried to kill her, too. If I can just get to the edge, she thought, I can save Petalkit and Larchkit, and go after Patchkit!

Just as she reached the bank, though, she felt claws dig into her paws, and let out a cry of pain, looking up in fear. Appledusk glared at her, keeping her held for the moment, and she wailed, struggling to pull her paws free.

"Appledusk, please! Save them!"

"I have no interest in them," He snarled. "Just as I have no interest in you. I hate you!"

He threw her off the bank, leaving her to scream. Petalkit was knocked loose. Larchkit's form hit her in the face before he was pulled away in the tide. The water rushed in her ears, growing louder - No, no no no, that was the waterfall. They were all going to die. She had condemned herself and her kits to death. Larchkit's scream echoed in her ears before she fell as well, mind going blank with pain and fear and regret; she looked down, and she could see it - rocks at the bottom, sharp, rushing towards her -

- She awoke with a start, gasping and heaving. Her fur was spiked with fear, and she took a moment to wake up properly, for a moment still living in the water. As she slowly calmed, she managed to take in her surroundings. She was in some sort of medicine den, herb-scent strong in the air. The nest she was in almost felt as comfortable as the one in the ThunderClan nursery - but she could tell she wasn't home. They wouldn't take me back anyway. Maybe it was all just a bad dream?

Blinking a few times, she took a deep breath, absorbing the scent of the camp - and her eyes widened.

WindClan!

Just as the thought crossed her mind, a grey tabby entered the den, looking surprised to see her awake; it took a moment, but she recognized her - Larkwing. The medicine cat. She'd seen her at gatherings before, but never engaged.

"You're awake! How are you feeling?"

Mapleshade couldn't respond, her eyes distant as she rose to her paws. "Why... Why am I here?"

"Please, lie back down," Larkwing murmured, quickly padding over to try and calm her down. The fluffy molly flinched away, looking guarded as she continued. "One of our apprentices caught your scent on a patrol. The warriors couldn't wake you up, and took pity on you. Hauled you back here."

"Pity..." A growl rose in her throat. "I don't need the pity of WindClan cats."

The medicine cat's gaze hardened, and her tail twitched. "Well, you're starved, dehydrated, and your fur is matted - and, judging by your expression, you're in mourning. You're in no shape to be on your own. Lie down."

There was a moment where the mollies merely glared at each other, but Mapleshade found herself sinking to her belly, moved by Larkwing's tone. The tabby sniffed, seeming satisfied, and disappeared back out of the den, leaving Mapleshade to think with a sigh.

I suppose at the very least, they can get me back to health. Then I can get revenge on that bastard tom, and his hussy. Maybe Darkstar, too. For good measure.

"Eat."

She blinked with surprise as Larkwing dropped a hare at her paws, and looked up, watching her collect a ball of moss.