Demons

You flick the ashes from your cigarette out the window. You're sitting in the passenger seat, phone in hand. Joji looks focused on the road. You're scrolling through Instagram when you hear Joji shift uncomfortably.

"What, babe," you look up from the screen.

"Do you wanna get dinner instead of cooking," Joji pulls up to the red light.

You take another drag of your cigarette and shrug, "what do you wanna do?"

"Whatever you want, babe," Joji presses the gas. His dark eyes are filled with frustration.

"You know it's hot when you're irritated," you lean over the arm rest. You give him a slow kiss on the cheek. He nearly ignores it.

"So do you want sex for dinner, or," he asks sarcastically.

You roll your eyes and look back at your phone.

"What's wrong with you," he puts a hand on your thigh.

"As if you don't know," you push his hand off.

He looks at you for a split second, "what's wrong?"

"Why do you give me mad attitude? Like I did something wrong," you throw your cigarette out the window. "It makes no damn sense to me. Stop asking questions you don't wanna know the answers to, and you won't get so ass hurt."

He opens his mouth to speak, but just licks his lips instead. You think maybe you came off too harsh, but it was too late to apologize.

Finally, he speaks, "how does ramen sound?"

You shrug and scroll through your phone again, "whatever you want, babe."

He reaches over the arm rest and grabs your hand.

~next day~

"I do love Joji," you sit on your couch with your legs folded. "I just don't see forever."

"Then why're you with him," Adrian asks, sipping his wine.

"I'm not sure," you look down at your glass. "I guess I can't leave."

"What's making this so hard," Adrian lays his head against the back of the couch.

You shrug, "I don't know. Touring. I guess. I can't handle being without him for so long and for him to pretend I don't exist to the fans to fit an aesthetic.
"I love Joji, very much, but I've never been the type to settle down. I just love him for right now."

Adrian shakes his head, "you've always been odd. Where is Joji, anyways? It's almost midnight."

"He's always working late," you take another sip of your wine and turn your attention to the tv. This is exactly what you mean. Joji has other things in life. And if you're not a priority, then you can't be his forever. You hear the doorknob jiggle. A tall figure walks in and shuts the door behind him. He begins to lock it.

Joji's hair is in his face, and he looks exhausted. You sigh and set your wine glass down on the coffee table. You walk your way over to him and grab his arm, "you okay, baby?"

Joji turns to you and smiles, weakly. His faint nod concerns you.

"What's wrong baby," you grab his hand.

Without response, he begins to walk to your room. You follow after him with his hand still in yours. Adrian was the last thing on your mind.

Joji gets to the room, and he sits on the bed. His arms rest on his legs; his head hanging low.  You sigh, and you kneel on the ground. You begin unlacing his shoes to pull off his feet. You feel bad for him.