First Day (2)

We were walking towards the main entrance of the school when a strong gust of wind surrounded us, corralling us in a clump.

"Hey freshman your attention please" the kid said who had just circled us. An elastic boy much taller and skinner than his friend joined him. I could tell they were the bad boys of the school but the elastic one was kind of cute. "Knock it off Maddie" I mentally said to myself. I could not be falling for a bad boy on the first day. Let alone a boy

"I'm Lash, this is Speed. As representatives of the Sky High welcoming committee" Lash started. "we'd be happy to collect that $15 new student fee" Speed continued as Lash extended his arm and hand out towards a freshman. The freshman who was dressed in bright orange responded "there was nothing about a new student fee in the handbook" as he flipped through the pages. Clearly he was not understanding that they were joking and that we are the new students ready to be picked on.

I shook my head dumbfounded at how gullible this kid was.

"Ok guys I'll take it over from here. Hey everybody I'm Gwen Grayson and I'm your school body president" The brunette chick said. She was dressed in bright pink looking very posh. Me not caring what she said slipped away into the main entrance of the school.

"Hey freshman what's your name?" Lash said

"Madeline Stronghold but you can call me Maddie" I said as I pushed some hair behind my ear and smiled.

"I'll see you around Maddie" Lash said before stretching through the halls. "Ugh why couldn't it be the respectable and likable hero that dad would approve of" I thought to myself. I shook those thoughts away and walked into the gym to join the others for orientation.

"Where were you?" Layla whispered

"I didn't want to listen to Cadet Kelly or what ever her name is give her speech about school rules" I whispered back. A burst of white light floated above us and landed at the podium. The bright burst of light revealed the principal who appeared out of thin air.

"Good morning. I'm principal powers on behalf of all the faculty and staff welcome to Sky High"

"Yeah" Zack yelled. I rolled my eyes. Don't get me wrong he was nice and all just extremely dumb at times.

"In a few moments you'll go through power placements and your own heroic journey will begin"

"Power placement?" Will asked nervously

"Sounds fascist" Layla commented.

"Power placement. It's how they decided where you go" the kid in bright orange from the bus said.

"The hero track or the loser track" Magenta I believe was her name added.

"There's a loser track?" Will asked even more nervous.

"I believe the preferred term is "Hero Support""

"Let the adventure begin. Comets away" Principal Powers said before disappearing into a ball of light. As we turned around a man I presumed was the gym teacher rose from the floor on a platform. His outfit choice was horrendous as he was wearing short white shorts and knee high socks.

"Alright listen up. My name is Coach Boomer. You may know me as sonic boom, you may not. Here's how power placement is going to work. You will step up here and show me your power. Yes, you will do so in front of the entire class. I will then determine where you will be assigned" Coach Boomer continued but all I could focus on was Will's worried face.

"Hey you'll be fine" I whispered.

"Easy for you to say. You have your powers" Will whispered back. I didn't know how to respond because he was right. I felt comfortable with this whole power placement idea because I had powers.

I focused back in on what Coach Boomer was saying.

"So let's get one thing straight. My word is law my judgement is final. So there will be no whiner babies. Are we clear?" He asked. Everyone mumbled there responses.

"I said ARE WE CLEAR?" His sonic boom pushing everyone back.

"YES COACH BOOMER" we all yelled back. He blew his whistle commencing the start of power placement.

"You what's your name?"

"Larry" the kid said. His appearance gave the impression of hero support and that's why Coach Boomer picked him first.

"Little Larry get up here" Coach Boomer demanded. Larry walked up onto the platform, removed his glasses and transformed into a rock version of the hulk.

"Car" Coach Boomer said as he dropped the car. Larry in rock form grabbed it.  "Big Larry hero"

Zack being his cocky self decided to go next. This pissed off the coach.

"Did I say you were next?"

"Names Zack Coach Boomer. Try not to drop your clip board" Zack said as he clapped his hands together and held them open.

"Can you believe I went on a date with him" I said to Layla shaking my head

"Any day now superstar" Coach said agitated

"I'm doing it. I'm glowing" Zack said. He went on to try to convince the coach that it needed to be dark but no use he was deemed a sidekick. The nerd from the bus was next and he melted like a popsicle. Turns out his name is Ethan. Coach boomer deemed him a sidekick, along with magenta.

"You flower child let's go"

"I believe in only using my powers when the situation demands it" Layla responded

"Well your in luck this is the situation and I demanded it" Coach Boomer said. Layla not giving up tried reasoning with the Coach but it was no use she was categorized as a sidekick.

"You and don't waste my time like the last one" coach boomer said pointing to me. I walked up onto the platform.

"Name?"

"Madeline Stronghold"

"Power?" Coach Boomer asked. I closed my eyes and my whole body went invisible.

"Invisibility. HERO" he boomed. The bell rang which signaled it was time for lunch. "We will pick this up after lunch. Starting with you" Coach Boomer said pointing towards Will.