Getting Attention

A dragonfly fluttered down as Seileah made the realization the mysterious boy lived in both worlds. It grasped just one end of the tip of a small twiggy branch on the pine.

"Hey, what's with that?" The boy had now noticed the third branch hitting the ground. He looked up to the tree and, next, wider about him. "Why are things falling? There's not even a breeze. Did you do that?" He spoke to the insect.

Seeing nothing, he went back to his thoughts. First, he did pull his odd clothing closer about him with the appearance of shivers; and he played with the shiny round stones on its front. They seemed to allow him to close its sides together for warmth, Seileah noticed. Not like my wraps.

"Okay, hello—" Seileah now just needed to know why this had happened. Can he or can he not tell that he's in my land?

Dragon did nothing more than just contemplate his preoccupations. He sat still on the root.

Seileah sighed. "Dragonfly boy! Hey! Hello!"

Nothing.

"Storming shadows!" What shall I do?

What can I try next? Seileah, stopped using stealth, the way she would do with her creatures and just walked slowly up close to the boy and then all around him—backwards and forwards from side to side.

The boy just sat there.

"I'm not going to take all night about this, but what should I do?" She had her hands on her hips, looking down at the silky unaware top of his wavy yellow-brown head. She spoke to him directly, "You can't hear me but I know that you should. You're kind of there, like you were—sort of—the last time." Humph. "You don't seem to notice. How can I get you to look up and see me?"

She turned away in frustration, only half noticing a shape on the hill, hidden in bushes. It felt like it was just watching the view. She paid it no mind. "Truth be known, I don't really want you to notice me. But I kind of have to find out who you are."

Seileah thought she'd imagined a sound but, not to be distracted, presumed one of the animals, always around her, had let out a cough to clear some leaves from its mouth.

"What's happening here!" Seileah balled up her fists and looked up to her Skye, who would often play silent this time of the evening and quite a bit more often, on through the night. "I want you to tell me." She raised her voice now.

Suddenly, Dragon Efflington, raised his head and looked around as though he too had heard a slight sound, but he never once let his eyes focus upon her.

"Arghhg!" Seileah exclaimed.

The boys head jumped, as she did, and eyebrows furrowed as he looked to both sides.

"Yes!" Seileah exclaimed.

But seeing nothing, he then let his shoulders relax.

"Arghhg," she said again, only louder, straight at him, no longer caring if there weren't any results.

"Hello?" whispered Dragon, not expecting an answer and talking to no one.

"Ooo." He did hear something? Was it me, —or did he imagine he heard something else that had happened at the time I had spoken? "Hello!" she shouted back.

"Are you there? Are you there, or am I hearing the wind?" The boy checked the valley to see if any wind had picked up. "And—right, —I am— talking— to myself—"

"No. No, you're not! I'm right here!" 

But the boy went back to fidgeting aimlessly with his stick in the dirt.