13-go back to the main stairwell

Song: Titanic Enya song
Anne looks back at the Titanic, transfixed by the sight of the dying liner. The bowsprit is now barely above the waterline. Another of Boxhall's rockets explodes overhead. It lights up the whole area, and half a dozen boats are in the water, spreading out from the ship.

"Now there's somethin' you don't see every day." Molly says to Anne.

The steerage area is the widest passageway in the ship, used by crew and steerage alike, and runs almost the length of the ship. Steerage passengers move along it like refugees. A wooden doorframe splinters and the door bursts open under the force of Zayn's shoulder. Zayn and Harry stumble through, into the corridor. A steward, who was nearby herding people along, marches over.

"Here you! You'll have to pay for that, you know. That's White Star Line property-"

Harry and Zayn turn. "Shutup!" They yell. Zayn leads Harry past the dumbfounded steward. They join the steerage stragglers. In places the corridor is almost completely blocked by large families carrying all their luggage.

An Irish woman gives Harry a blanket, more for modesty than because he is blue-lipped and shivering. "Here, lad, cover yerself."

Zayn rubs Harry's arms and tries to warm him up as they walk along. The woman's husband offers them a flask of whiskey. "This'll take the chill off."

Harry takes a big swig and hands it to Zayn. He grins and does the same. Zayn tries a number of doors and iron gates along the way, finding them all locked.

On the boat deck, the action has moved to the group of boats, numbers 9, 11, 13 and 15 on the starboard side, and 10, 12, 14 and 16 on the port side. The pace of work is more frantic. Crew and officers were running now to work the davits, their previous complacency gone.

Moe pushes through the crowd, scanning for Harry. Around him is chaos and confusion. A woman is calling for a child who has become seperated from the crowd. A man is shouting over people's heads. A woman takes hold of Second Officer Lightoller's arm as he is about to launch Boat 10.

"Will you hold the boat a moment? I have to run back to my room for something-"

Lightoller grabs her and shoves her into the boat. Thomas Andrews rushes up to him just then.

"Why are the boats being launched

half full?!" Lightoller steps past him, helping a seaman clear a snarled fall.

"Not now, Mr. Andrews."

Mr. Andrews points at the water. "There, look... twenty or so in a boat built for sixty five. And I saw one boat with only twelve. Twelve!"

"Well... we were not sure of the weight-"

"Rubbish! They were tested in Belfast with the weight of 70 men. Now fill these boats, Mr. Lightoller. For God's sake, man!"

Mohamed sees Lovejoy hurrying toward him through the aisle connecting the port and starboard sides of the boat deck.

"He's not on the starboard side either."

"We're running out of time. And this strutting martinet..." Moe motions to Lightroller. "...isn't letting any men in at all."

"The one on the other side is letting men in."

"Then that's our play. But we're still going to need some insurance. Come on." Moe charges off, heading forward, followed by Lovejoy.
-
A finely dressed elderly couple, Ida and Isador Strauss are hugging by a boat.

"Please, Ida, get into the boat." Isador pleads.

"No. We've been together for fortyyears, and where you go, I go. Don't argue with me, Isador, you know it does no good."