Better.

you’ll be the one that moves me

we’ll be happy as can be 

you just gotta be be good to me 

i’m gonna treat you right

we’ll never fight

when i hold you tight 

i feel all right 

i guess that i’m just lucky

It was a night in the middle of a long and hot summer. Joe sat in the lobby of the movie theater, on a couch backed up against a wall. He was out of the way - not many looked at him as they passed by - but he had a great view to do just what he wanted to do: people-watch. It was one of his favorite pastimes. And it was a great way to get his mind off the things he wanted to get his mind off of. Although he did feel slightly lame, sitting on a couch in this movie theater, not having just gotten out of a movie, not waiting for someone to arrive, not waiting for a girlfriend to get out of the bathroom. He had come to the movie theater, didn’t even buy a ticket for a movie, and just sat down on the couch, alone, and began people-watching. But oh well. He hoped that no one would recognize him, and so far, so good.

There strangely seemed to be millions of couples in the theater lobby that night; holding hands, laughing together, some even making out, not caring who saw them. That was exactly what he did not want to see. His eyes fell on a family, two parents and three kids. One of the kids, a girl, walked along sullenly, not looking happy at all to be seeing a movie, and picked at the popcorn that had been shoved into her hands seconds earlier. He did not want to watch this; he could identify way too much with that kid. This was not the quality people-watching he had been craving; he had had better days.

Two teenage girls walked by next and glanced over at him. He looked away. He couldn’t let them recognize him. He waited a minute, to make sure the girls were gone, before continuing to watch all the people walk by him, not leaving his attention on one group of people for very long. He was getting bored, so incredibly bored. And that meant it was time to go.

Just as he was about to get up and leave, he saw her. She had just walked into the theater, alone. Forgetting that he needed to avoid teenage girls, for they were the most likely to recognize him, he watched her. Maybe she could bring him the entertainment he had been seeking before.

As he watched her, he felt something. He felt a pull towards her; he wanted her to walk over and sit down and talk to him. Or he could always just get up and kiss her. That would be nice; he definitely would like that. But that was crazy. He needed to get going. Yet he made no movement to get up. He continued to watch her.

She looked like a normal teenage girl, but he thought that she was absolutely beautiful. She was a brunette; long chocolate-colored hair fell in loose curls around a pretty face. She had a small nose, a few freckles sprinkled across it. She had pretty pink lips, and possibly the most incredible eyes he had ever seen. Even from far away, he could tell they were a beautiful dark brown.Her long, dark lashes accentuated the color of her eyes and he found himself trying hard to stop staring, but failing miserably. His eyes were glued on her, staring her up and down, taking in her tall and lean frame, but then just settling on her face. His head turned so that he could keep watching her as she walked by.

Finally she noticed his staring, but instead of dismissing him as a creep, she just stared right back at him. A strange expression crossed her face, and he didn’t really understand it. The thought that she may possible recognize him had completely left his mind. He looked away then, slightly embarrassed at the extent of his staring, willing his legs to move so he could get up and leave already. But then he realized that she was heading his way, and looking directly at him.