Change

I have found it unnecessary so far in this story to include all the nitty-gritty details about the life of the Jonas Brothers while Chloe was present in my life. But we are now at the point where there was a separation, a gap in the story. We, as in the Jonas Brothers and family, went away for a while. Whether it was for tour, interviews, promotion, take your pick. It’s insignificant what it was.

What is important is that when people leave, things change. Things change even if you try to stop them, even if you don’t want them to.

I had gotten so used to Chloe’s presence– her pretty smile, bright green eyes shining at me – that it was incredibly hard to get through a day without her once we left. But it’s not like I had a choice. I called her so many times that I think I hit a record, for all time, of number of phone calls made in a day. We talked so often.

But eventually, she ran out of things to say. I could have talked for ages about we were doing while away, but I felt like that wouldn’t really help the situation at all. Neither of us wanted to be reminded of the fact that I was gone and she was back at home. And Chloe always seemed sad when she ran out of things to say, so I never wanted to keep her longer.

So after a while, the phone calls died down, as much as I didn’t want them to. Sure, we still talked, but maybe once as week, as compared to twice (or five times) a day like before. I felt like I was being ripped apart every second I was away from her, not talking to her. I didn’t want to let go of the person I had become while around her, but it was hard to hold on when we weren’t together.

So when I got home, I was incredibly happy to be able to see her again and start back where we left off. But I was surprised to see how she had changed in my absence. I was surprised to see what her quietness and sad-sounding voice during our phone calls had really meant.

It was the beginning of the end. I didn’t want to notice it then, but deep down, I did. It wasn’t just my fault, and Chloe wasn’t to blame either. But our happy little bubble had been violently burst, and now we were free-falling into the unknown.