3. Scary Attraction

“This is about the kiss, isn’t it?” Alek asked pushing up off the wall.

“Of course it’s about the kiss,” I said a little annoyed. I couldn’t understand why I was feeling like this, why I was feeling this sudden urge to kiss him. It annoyed me that my body was betraying me like this and it annoyed me that he was the reason I was feeling this way.

His eyebrows rose at my snap. “What about it?”

Was he being serious right now? “Look we were both drunk—“

“I wasn’t that drunk.”

I was caught off guard by that. “Wait—what?”

“I wasn’t that drunk.” He repeated.

“Are—are you gay?” I stuttered.

“Are you?” he retorted. “Because you kissed me back.”

“I was drunk. I didn’t know what the hell was going on.” Which was a huge lie.

“And you’re going to use that as your excuse?” he asked taking a step forward.

I took a step back, unable to find any words. He took a step forward and I took a step back, this continued until I felt the wall biting into my shoulder blades. He put his arms on both sides of my head. I had never felt so trapped before. I could feel my heart accelerating, beating loudly against my ribcage. He was so close I could feel the heat radiating off him. I stared down at my feet, my jaw and hands clenched tightly, still fighting the urge to kiss him. I glanced up at him and he was staring down at me biting his lip. He pressed his forehead against mine. “I told you we’d continue this another time.” He said in a low rough voice. My breath caught at that.

Why aren’t you pushing him away? A part of me screamed. The other part of me yearned for him to kiss me again. “Relax,” Alek muttered. His lips brushed against mine, sending a sort of electricity through me. I felt my eyes begin to close and my body begin to relax.

You’re not gay! That part of me screamed. “NO!” I yelled, pushing him off me. He took a few steps back to keep from falling. He looked shocked that I had pushed him away. “Stay away from me.” I said dangerously before storming out of the bathroom.

“Nice of you to join us, Mr. Grey.” Ms. Tyler said as I entered the class room.

I didn’t bother to answer her. I walked to my seat and put my head in hands. I wanted to rip my hair out. I couldn’t understand anything anymore. Why was I feeling like this? Why had I nearly kissed him again?

After school I was about to leave the parking lot when my cell phone rang. It was Mia. “Yeah?” I answered.

“Hey, you didn’t leave yet, did you?” she asked.

“I was just about to pull out, why?”

“Alek needs a ride home, and I can’t give him one ‘cause I have to stay for cheer practice.”

The mere mention of his name pissed me off. “And?” I asked.

“And I was wondering if you could give him one.” She said.

“No,” I answered.

“Why not?” I could hear the confusion in her voice.

“Because I don’t want to.”

“Don’t be an ass, give him a ride.” I groaned. “Give him a ride, Andrew.” She repeated angrily.

I had a little war between myself. A part me saying to just hang up and drive away, the other part of me telling me to give him a ride. In the end the other half of me won. “Where are you?” I sighed into the phone.

“We’re in front of the school.”

I hung up and started driving to the front of the school, convincing myself that the only reason I agreed was to make sure that Mia wasn’t suspicious of my disliking of Alek. If she wasn’t suspicious that meant she wouldn’t find out about the kiss.

Pulling up in front of the school, I found Mia and Alek standing at the edge of the sidewalk, waiting patiently. Mia opened the door and gave me a sweet smile. “Thanks, babe,” she said. “See you later.”

“See you.” I answered, giving her a peck on the lips.

I didn’t look at Alek as he slid into the passenger seat. “Where do you live?” I asked, beginning to pull away from the school. He gave me the directions.

“Andrew,” he began, but I cut him off.

“Shut up.” I said, clenching the steering wheel tightly. “I don’t want look at you and I don’t want to talk to you, so do yourself a favor and just shut up.”

The rest of the ride he was silent. I pulled up to his house and waited for him to get out. I looked over at him when I didn’t hear the car door open. “What are you waiting for?”

Alek turned in his seat to face me. “I’m sorry.” I rolled my eyes and was about to say something but he cut me off. “I’m sorry for kissing you, it won’t happen again.”

“It’s just that,” he began when I didn’t say anything. “You’re so—you’re really cute.” He looked as if he regretted it the minute the words left his mouth. “Jesus,” he said running a hand through his hair, distressed. He looked really cute when he was stressed out. I clenched my jaw when I realized what I just thought. “I’m just going to leave.” He opened the door, grabbed his bag, threw it across his shoulder, and made his way to the front door.

I drove away wondering why I felt this scary attraction to him.