Chapter 3: Letters from No One

The escape of the Brazilian boa constrictor earned the twins their longest- ever punishment. By the time they were let of the cupboard, Serena, Harry and Dudley were all on school break.  When school started up again in the Fall, Harry and Serena would be attending a secondary school, Stonewall High while Dudley was going to be going to Smeltings.  So far, the twins had avoided having their heads stuck in the toilet but no one saying that it wouldn't happen, after all, Dudley's gang of friends had been over several times and the twins had successfully been able to hide from their clutches so far.  

"Get the Post, Dudley," Uncle Vernon's voice made Serena glance at him.  He had his nose in the newspaper, which he had unrolled when he sat down.  

"Make Harry or Serena get it," Dudley said focusing on his breakfast.  

"Get the post Serena," Uncle Vernon said nonchalantly, obviously not willing to argue at the moment.  

"Make Dudley get it," Harry snapped, defending his sister who gave him a small smile before poking her fork into a bit of sausage and popping it into her mouth.  

"Get the post, Harry," Uncle Vernon commanded.

Harry sighed as he stood up and went out into the hall to retrieve the post.  He was gone for a few moments before returning.  Serena looked at him funny as he slid a small envelope into her hands while he handed Uncle Vernon two cards before sitting down at his spot at the table with a letter of his own clamped in his grasp.  

Serena frowned, this was the first time in the twin’s entire life they had ever gotten something.  The envelope was soft brown and in careful writing, it read:

Miss E Potter

The cupboard under the stairs

4 Privet Drive

Little Whinging

Surrey 

Harry's read the exact same thing except for the name.  Serena carefully ran her fingers across the smooth writing then flipped it over to find a seal with an eagle, a lion, a serpent and a badger surrounding a lager letter H.

While the twins had been admiring their letters, Uncle Vernon had tossed the rest of the mail carelessly onto the table once he was done reading them. 

"Oh Marge is ill.  Ate a funny whelk," Uncle Vernon reported to Aunt Petunia, who was busy in the kitchen.  

"Dad! Look! Harry's got a letter!" Dudley spoke loudly, making Serena jump.  She had been so interested in the letter, she hadn't expected him to speak.  

Suddenly her letter was yanked out of her hands.  She lunged towards it saying, "That's mine!" at the same time Harry yelled, "Hey!"  Uncle Vernon was holding Harry's letter in his fat hands while Aunt Petunia's talon-like hands were clutching Serena's.  

"Hey, give it back! Its ours!" the twins yelled.  

"Yours?" Uncle Vernon repeated, obviously amused by the twins outburst.  "Who'd be writing to you?" His small beady eyes moved down, scanning the address of the letter.  He froze and looked up slowly at Harry and Serena who were still staring at him. 

*Sunday*

"Fine day Sunday.  In my opinion best day of the week.  And why is that Dudley?" Uncle Vernon asked his son gleefully. 

Dudley shook his fat head before turning back to the strip of bacon he was eating. 

It had been several days since Harry and Serena had received their letters they never were able to open.  They had continued to receive the same letters throughout the week but first of all, Uncle Vernon burned them then Aunt Petunia began to shred them in her blender.  

"Because there's no post on Sundays," Harry answered as Serena silently passed her Uncle his coffee. 

"Right you are Harry," said Uncle Vernon as if it was a huge accomplishment for him. "No post on Sunday.  Ha! No blasted letters today! No, sir! Not one single bloody letter! Not one!" Serena and Harry exchanged a look as their uncle rambled on.  "No sir, not one blasted, miserable-" There was a sudden whooshing sound then a letter hit Uncle Vernon in the side of the head. 

Serena's jaw dropped open as thousands and thousands more letters began to come in through the chimney.  In the hallway, the mail slot that Uncle Vernon had nailed up, the piece of wood flew off and letters came screaming in.  

Serena’s face lit up and she began to smile as she jumped to her feet, trying to catch one of the letters.  When she did, she jumped off the chair and rushed to the cupboard, wanting to open it but Uncle Vernon's beefy hands clamped around her.  He tore the letter from her hands and Serena turned to see her brother was on their uncle's back.  

Once Uncle Vernon had shaken Harry off, he snarled, "That's it! We're going away, far away! Where they can't find us!" 

"Daddy's gone mad hasn't he?" said Dudley worriedly and Aunt Petunia just wrapped her arms around him. 

*Days later -On an Island in the middle of the ocean*

They ended up in a hut in the middle of the ocean.  They had been driving all day and had rented a boat to get out here.  The only thing, Serena noticed, that Uncle Vernon brought was a long package.  

Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon were in one room, sleeping, while Dudley was crashed on the couch leaving Harry and Serena to sleep on the floor.  Harry and Serena lay on the floor, side by side, underneath an old blanket Uncle Vernon had dug out of the old, dusty closet.  

Harry had been drawing a small birthday cake out of the dust on the floor while Serena was sleeping despite the sound of Dudley's snoring.          

When he had finished, Harry gave his sister a small nudge and she woke almost instantly.  

"Make a wish, Serena," Harry said softly as he looked at Dudley’s watch which said 12:00.  The twins glanced at each other, their wishes burning in their mind. ‘I wish to leave this place’ Serena thought. Then the twins turned and blew on the dust cake.  

Almost as soon as they did, a loud BANG sounded at the doorway of the hut.  Someone was trying to get in.