Chapter 6: Platform Nine and Three-Quarters

Serena looked around King's Cross. It was so crowded.  This was one of the many places Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had never taken the twins.  It was extremely crowded with passengers struggling to get to the trains that would take them to their destination. 

"Blimey is that time?" Serena was shaken out of her thoughts at the sound of Hagrid's shocked voice.  "Sorry Harry, Serena, but I'm gonna have to leave.  Dumbledore would be wanting his...Well, he'd be wanting to see me.  Now, your train leaves in ten minutes.  Here's your ticket.  Stick to it Harry, Serena, that's very important.  Stick to your ticket." 

Serena examined the neat writing on the ticket Hagrid had just handed her.  "Platform Nine and Three-Quarters? But Hagrid, there must be a mistake," Harry said, speaking what both he and his sister were thinking.  "This says Platform Nine and Three-Quarters.  There's no such thing.  Is there?" The twins said looked up to find the spot where Hagrid was standing seconds earlier was empty.  

"What now?" Serena asked quietly.  

As at the same moment a group of people passed just behind them and the twins turned as they caught a few words they were saying 

"-Packed with muggles of course-" 

Exchanging a glance, the twins pushed their cart after them and Serena followed more slowly, she was always nervous about meeting new people.  They stopped and so did the siblings, near enough to hear what they were saying.  

"Now, what's the platform number?" said the boys' mother.  

"Nine and three-quarters!" Piped a small girl, also red-headed, who was holding her hand.  "Mum, can't I go..." 

"You're not old enough, Ginny, now be quiet.  Alright, Percy, you first." The mother said.

What looked like the oldest boy, marched towards platform nine and ten.  

Harry and Serena watched, careful not to blink in case they missed it but just as the boy reached the divided barrier between the platforms a large crowd of tourists came swarming in front of the and by the time the last backpack had cleared away, the boy was gone.  

"Fred, you next," the plump women said.  

"I'm not Fred, I'm George," said the boy.  "Honestly, women, you call yourself our mother?" 

"Sorry.  George dear," the mother said.

The boy turned to face the barrier.  "Only joking! I am Fred!" 

Serena giggled and the other boy, Fred's twin, turned to look at her.  He smiled towards her which made her look away, going slightly red before the boy followed his twin, running towards the wall.  

"Excuse me!" Harry called out, grabbing onto his sister's wrist, dragging her forward as he pushed his cart towards the remaining three of the red-headed family.  Serena struggled to push her cart with one hand as she was forced to follow her brother.  "Could you tell us how to..." Harry trailed off.

"How to get on to the platform?" The plump women finished.  Harry and Serena nodded and Serena pulled her wrist free from her brother's grip, shooting him a furious look as she did so.  "Yes, not to worry dear, it's Ron's first time to Hogwarts as well." The women gestured towards the last and youngest of her sons.  He was tall, thin and gangling with freckles, big hands and feet and a long nose.  The boy, Ron, gave Serena a smile which made her turn away, blushing, to stare at his mother who was speaking again.  "Now, all you have to do is walk straight at the wall between platforms nine and ten.  Best do it at a run if you're nervous."