Chapter 5: Diagon Alley

Serena stared around London in awe.  Aunt Petunia and Uncle Vernon had never taken the twins up to London before.  She knew it was big but not this big.  The streets were crowded with people and the stores lines were sometimes out the door.  

Hagrid walked on one side of her while her brother was on the other; Harry was reading the list of items they needed for school aloud.  " 'All students must be equipped with a one standard size two pewter cauldron, and may bring, if they desire, either an owl, a cat, or a toad.' " 

"Oh, I've always wanted a cat!" Serena gushed.  She had made the mistake once to ask The Dursley’s if she could have a cat that lead her to not food for two weeks.

"Can we really find all this in London?" Harry asked tilting his head back to look at Hagrid in the eye. 

Hagrid gave them a small smile.  "If you know where to go." He said lifting a giant finger and pointed towards a small, dark shop that if he hadn't pointed it out, Harry and Serena wouldn't have noticed it.  As Hagrid ushered them into the shop, Serena had the strange feeling that only they could see it.  

Hagrid had told the twins that this place was famous; for a famous place, it was very dark and shabby.  A few old women were sitting in the corner, drinking tiny glasses of sherry.  One of them was smoking a long pipe.  A man in a top hat was talking to the old bar tender, who was quite bald and looked like a toothless walnut.  

There was a low buzz and the chatter stopped when they walked in.  Serena noticed everyone seemed to know Hagrid, they smiled and waved at him and the bar tender reached for a glass, saying, "The usual, Hagrid?" 

"No thanks Tom," Said Hagrid, waving his hand away at the glass.  "I'm here on an official Hogwarts business.  Just helping young Harry and Serena buy their school supplies." 

Serena was surprised that the old bar tender, Tom, looked at her and her brother as though he was going to faint.  "Bless my soul," He sounded faint as well.  "Its Harry and Serena Potter!" 

Suddenly everyone was looking at them, the old women with the pipe was puffing on it without realizing it had gone out.  Hagrid was beaming and Serena backed up as there was a great scraping of chairs and the next moment, Harry and Serena found themselves shaking hands with everyone in the leaky cauldron.  

"Welcome back Mr. Potter, welcome back," One said as he vigorously shook Harry's hand.  

"Hello Miss Potter, such a fan!" Serena blushed got redder as each person embraced her hand.  

"Doris Crockford, Mr. and Miss Potter," A small man in a purple top hat gave them each a shake of a hand.  "I can't believe I'm meeting you two at last." 

"Harry P-P-Potter.  S-S-Serena P-Potter.  C-can't tell you how o-pleased I am to meet you." A pale young man made his way forward as he spoke nervously and one of his eyes were twitching as he looked at them. 

"Hello, Professor I didn't' see you there," By Hagrid's tone, Serena could tell he knew him.  "Harry, Serena, this is Professor Quirrell. He will be your Defense Against the Dark Arts teacher." 

"Oh, nice to meet you," said Harry holding his hand out while Serena gave him a respectful nod, making her long, messy red hair fall into her face.  

"A fearfully fascinating subject.  N-not that you need it, eh, Potters?" Professor Quirrell said looking at Harry’s hand. 

"Yes, well must be going now," Hagrid seemed to not want to discuss what Professor Quirrell had said in the Leaky Cauldron.  "Lots to buy," He added hastily as an excuse as he ushered the twins through the pub and out into the back door where there was mounds of garbage along the sides.