Chapter 7: The Sorting Hat

The door swung open at once.  A tall, black haired witch in emerald-green robes stood there.  She had a very stern face and Serena's first thought was that this was not someone to cross.  

"The firs' years, Professor McGonagall," said Hagrid.  

"Thank you Hagrid.  I will take them from here." 

She pulled the door wide.  The entrance hall was so big you could have fit the whole of the Dursley’s house in it.  The stone walls were lit with flaming torches like the ones in Gringotts, the ceiling was too high to make out, and magnificent marble staircase facing them led them to the upper floors.  

"Welcome to Hogwarts," Professor McGonagall's eyes drifted over the first years.  "Now, in a few moments you will pass through these doors-" She indicated to the doors on the right before continuing.  "-and join your classmates.  But before you take your seats, you must be sorted into your houses.  They are Gryffindor, Hufflepuff, Ravenclaw and Slytherin.  Now, while you're here your house will be like your family, you will have classes with the rest of your house and spend most of your free time in your house common rooms.  Your triumphs will earn you points.  Any rule breaking and you will lose points.  At the end of the year, the houses with the most points is awarded the house cup." 

She stopped as Neville suddenly pushed forward and crouched down in front of her.  "Trevor!" He said excitedly before straightening up to find Professor McGonagall staring sternly down at him.  "Sorry," He said before withdrawing behind Serena and Adelinda.  

"The Sorting Ceremony will being momentarily." Professor McGonagall announced.  "I shall return when we are ready for you, Please wait here." She left the chamber and Serena swallowed nervously.  

It didn't last long because a moment later, a boy, a thin, pale boy with pointed features, approached them with two large boys standing on either side of him, reminding the twins of bodyguards.  

When the boy spoke, he sounded sneering.  "It's true then, what they're saying on the train.  Harry and Serena Potter have come to Hogwarts."

“Yes brother dear, you know that’s true. You meet Serena on the train, remember” Adelinda said to her brother as the first years were whispering, all staring at the twins.  

The boy must have seen them looking at the two boys on either side of him because he said, "This is Crabbe and Goyle," He jerked his head to each of the boys in turn.  "And I'm Malfoy." He stepped forward, staring at Serena "Draco Malfoy." He said ignoring his sister’s comment.

Besides Harry, Ron snickered softly and Draco Malfoy turned to look at him.  "Think my name's funny do you?" His voice went back to a sneer as he said, "No need to ask yours.  Red hair and hand-me-down robes?" His eyes darted from his hair to his old robes as he spoke.  "You must be a Weasley," He said Ron's surname like it was an insult to be a part of his family before turning back to face Harry and Serena.  

"You'll soon find out that some wizarding families are better than others, Potters, You don't want to be making friends with the wrong sort," He glanced towards Ron again who was glaring at him.  "I can help you there." He extended his hand, obviously thinking they were going to shake it. 

Serena glanced towards his brother wondering what he will do.

"I think we can tell the wrong sort for ourselves thanks," He responded.  Serena almost laughed as Malfoy's face fell at Harry's words.  He obviously wasn't used to being turned down.  

Before anymore words could be passed between them, Professor McGonagall returned.  "We're ready for you.  Follow me." she instructed.  

Serena got in line behind her brother and in front of Christopher, and they walked out of the chamber, through a pair of double doors into the hall.