Chapter 9

Diana had to make some calls to finally find the perfect dress for her friend. In the meantime, Natalie finished helping Ben to get dressed and, while they waited for the dress to come, Diana fixed Natalie's hair and helped her to put the make up on.

"How do I look?" Ben asked Joe, while admired his reflection in the mirror and adjusted the suit.

"Like my soulmate," Joe answered, his right hand under his chin, while he looked at his friend.

"I thought this title belonged to Cardboard Me," Ben said, trying to look jealous.

"You know that I only say this so he won't get mad. You know how sensitive he can be!" Joe said that and laid down on the couch.

"More than you?" Ben asked, smiling and making Joe have the same reaction.

At that moment, the doorbell rang. Diana came running and opened the door. It was the girl who would bring the dress. She handed it to Diana, who thanked and said goodbye. She went back to Joe's room, where Natalie was getting ready.

"Finally!" Natalie said when she saw Diana entering the room with the dress.

"I know, but it's gonna be ok. We still have some minutes," Diana said, trying to keep her friend calm.

Thankfully, the dress was perfect. In less than ten minutes, Natalie and Diana were back in the living room. The dress was a hunter green one, and it matched perfectly with Natalie's red hair. It was a midi dress with long sleeves and it was beautiful.

"Wow," Ben said when he saw her. "You look amazing!"

"I agree," Joe said, smiling.

Natalie blushed, but before she could say anything, her friend decided to speak.

"Thank you, gentlemen," Diana said, taking a bow.

"Why are you thanking us when we weren't even talking to you?" Joe asked just to annoy her.

"Because, even though Natalie has this pretty face, it wouldn't mean anything if she hadn't the perfect hair, make up and dress, thank you very much."

"Thank you, guys," Natalie said, looking at Diana.

Diana and Natalie didn't know then, but they had the exact same thoughts at that moment. It's really hard to find a man who can make a compliment without being nasty, who can say nice things about a woman without "second intentions". That was exactly what was happening there. They would be lying if they said they didn't find Joe and Ben attractive. Of course they did. Of course it was flattering to receive a compliment from any of them. But they didn't want to be their girlfriends or anything. They didn't have those fantasies, and they knew fully well they didn't have those intentions, either. And it was cool to know that they knew how to praise and be respectful at the same time. It only made Diana and Natalie admire them more.

"Well, I guess we'd better go then, the limo has arrived," Ben said, interrupting their thoughts.

"Already? Oh, you should go!" Diana said. "I hope you have lots of fun!"

"Thank you, we will," Ben replied, smiling.

"Well, I hope they have a terrible night," Joe grumbled.

"Just because you can't go, it doesn't mean that we have to suffer," Ben said, offering his arm for Natalie to hold, and went on, now talking directly to her. "Let's go?"

"Let's," she replied.

"Enjoy it, my friend!" Diana whispered in her ear, before closing the door behind them.