Chapter 4

Chapter 4

August 16, 2001 – 5 years old

I hear someone calling my name far away. "Jade... Jade... C'mon Jade, wake up..." Each time the person calls me, their voice gets closer, until it sounds right above me.

I open my eyes and Zach is right above me. I guess he's the person I heard calling me.

"How you feeling Jade?" Zach asks.

 "Just ask the question you want to ask. Then we can make chit-chat." I reply sleepy. I want to go back to sleep before I wake up completely.

"How'd you know?"

"It doesn't take a mind reader to see the question on your face. Now what is it?" I ask.

"Why didn't you tell me your dad was your trainer?" Zach asks. Suddenly I'm not tired anymore. I sigh and push myself into a sitting position.

"I didn't know how you'd react. I didn't want to risk it. Anymore questions that can't wait until later?" I answer.

"One," Zach says.

"Shoot."

"How many times has your dad done something like that?" Zach asks. I hesitate on answering.

"That's how he was trained. That's how he trains me. Normally, it's just me punching a bag until I can't feel my hands, but sometimes he gets really angry and does something like you saw. My dad makes my training a punishment for whatever he's angry at. Most times than not, it's me." I reply honestly.

"Does the rest of your family know?"

"My mom and sisters? No, my dad makes sure of that. As you saw." I say. Zach nods then thinks about what he's going to say next.

"Can I see the bruises on your back?" He finally asks.

"Can you wait until after I get some sleep?" I ask. It looks likes Zach wants to say something, but he just ends up nodding his head.

"Will you let me sleep in the corner, or do I have to stay in the bed?" I question.

"Why do you sleep in corners instead of comfy beds?"

"If I'm uncomfortable, I'm more awake and alert, yet still getting the sleep that I need, than I would be in a comfortable bed." I tell him.

"Well you don't have to worry about something happening. You can be comfortable, asleep and not alert today. I'll watch over you as you sleep Jade. Make sure no harm comes to you." He replies.

"I didn't think you'd let me sleep in the corner. But aren't you tired?" I question.

"Nah, I'm good."

"When was the last time you slept?" I ask. When Zach doesn't answer, I move closer to the wall so that Zach has room to come on the bed. "I thought so. C'mon, you're going to get some sleep at the same time that I do."

"No, I'm fine. I've spent days without any sleep. I'll be fine." Zach says. I don't know how, but I get a feeling that he's lying or hiding something from me.

"So I can't lie to you, but you can to me? How fair is that?" I gamble. Zach stays quiet for a moment then replies,

"How did you know I was lying?"

"I got a feeling that you were either lying, or hiding something from me. So I guessed you were lying." I reply. Zach goes quiet and I begin to wonder if I was right about both things, so I take another chance, "Unless you are hiding something from me." I watch his reaction, but it stays blank. That means I'm getting close to the truth. "So what are you hiding Zach?" I ask.