Chapter 23

Chapter 23

I wake up after sleeping for a few hours with a blanket placed on me. I guess Scott thought I was cold while I slept.

I sit up, wiping the sleep from my eyes and take out my phone, checking the time and if I got any messages. Oddly enough though, my notification center was empty. No phone calls. No messages. No nothing. Then a small gasp comes out of my mouth as I take off the back of the phone. Sure enough, there was a blinking tracker placed beside the battery. Where do people keep getting these trackers and get the chance to place them on my items? But the thought running through my mind right now is I guess Drew got my phone and put it in my jacket while I had been sleeping in his room. But if Drew knows where I am, then why am I still in Scott's office in his garage?

I slowly stand up and look around the office. It seems normal to me, but looks can be deceiving. So I walk to the door and put my ear near it, but not touching, I listen.

At first, I don't know what to listen for. Whether it was voices or silence or tools. But then I do. I listen for Drew's voice then I hear it. He's not far from the door, but neither is he close.

"-she got here?" Drew asks. My guess is that he's talking to Scott. About what? I have a faint idea that it's me.

"Tired. I could tell that she was injured or had been and she never took off her jacket. Just had eggs and milk then we talked." Then Scott pauses. "Um... Do you know..." He trails off.

"What? That you and her are Kinetics?" Drew asks, well more states. "Yeah, I know. I helped her when she was five. My ability is sensing when other Kinetics are around and what their ability is. Like yours is a fast metabolism. Fast healing, don't gain weight from fats or carbs. That kind of thing. She has the exact same ability, among others."

After I listened to Drew and Scott talking, I got used to hearing their voices, I didn't immediately notice when they got silent.

When it had finally registered to me that they stopped, I quickly hid beside the door, just waiting for one of them-most rather Drew-to walk in.

"Do you think she's awake?" Scott asks after five minutes of complete silence.

"Go look." Drew suggests.

If Drew is going to just throw Scott to the sharks-aka me-he's going to be disappointed with the reaction I give. I quietly run back to the bed and pretend to still be asleep.

A few moments after I've laid down, I hear the door open and Scott walking in.

"She's asleep." He yells out to Drew.

"Make sure.' Drew shouts back. With all this yelling, I won't be "asleep" for much longer.

"How?"

"She's a heavy sleeper. Poke her." Drew says. What is he doing? He knows that I'm a light sleeper more than I am a heavy one. Years of only being half asleep and scared made sure of that.

Just as Scott goes to poke me, I roll over so that I'm facing him-since I had my back to him before.

"She's asleep." Scott yells again.

"Okay. When does your daughter get out of school?" Drew asks.

"3:30 pm. But she often stays after so she won't be here until 4:30." Scott's not yelling anymore, so that must mean that Drew is in the doorway.

"Did she come with anything other than her jacket?" Drew asks after a minute. What's with him and questions today? He sounds like he's beside me now. Why didn't I hear him move?