Chapter 3

Chapter 3

August 15, 2001 – 5 years old

I pull my earbuds out and hear what the man was saying. "Get in the car!" My dad says to me. He still sounds mad.

"Why?" I ask cautiously.

"Your mom wants you home. Let's go." He replies. I nod and hop into the front seat. I don't use a car seat anymore and my dad doesn't care.

My dad stays silent for the whole drive home. Until I break the silence when we reach the beginning of the driveway. "Are you going to say something?" I ask.

"We'll talk later about the fight. Just get inside and hide your bruises before your mother sees them." He spits. I'm not looking forward to the talk later, but I nod and get out of the truck. My dad drives the rest of the way up the driveway and I run through the woods until I'm beside the house. Then I climb the side of the house, where my room is and jump onto the roof under my window. I don't lock my window in case I need to get into my room without someone noticing. I climb into my room and close the window.

I put my bag down on my bed and take off my jacket, then t-shirt. I walk over to my closet and look inside for a long sleeved shirt. When I find one, I grab it and with my back towards the door, I slip it on. But before I'm able to slide it down my back, my door opens and I hear a gasp. I freeze and turn around. My mom was in the doorway with a hand over her mouth.

I then turn to my mirror and look at my back. There were bruises everywhere. How did I get those? They must be from all my falls.

"What happened?" My mom asks. It sounds like she's on the brink of crying. I finish putting my shirt on before I turn to face her again.

"I fell off a swing at school a few days ago." I lie. I thought I'd be able to greet them before I start lying, but I guess that's not the case. "I'm fine mom."

"How did you get in?" She asks.

"I was just outside. I guess you didn't see me. I've been in for a while." I lie again. 

"Oh. I guess I missed you walking in." My mom replies. Then she shakes her head. "Anyway, I just came up to tell you that you should come downstairs. We've got a surprise for you." I nod and she leaves.

After I make sure all my bruises are hidden, I walk downstairs. When I reach the bottom stair, the lights turn on and everyone jumps out of their hiding place, shouting happy birthdays to me. 

I blink a few times for my eyes to adjust to the lights, but they don't. The lights are incredibly bright. "Oh my god you guys. Thanks." I say. Then I add, "But I'll be right back." I run up the stairs and into my room. This can't be happening right now. How am I supposed to control my sight? 

I squeeze my eyes shut and rub the heels of my hands on them. Zach, where are you when I need you?! I shout in my head. Wait, no, I can do this myself. He did, so can I. 

"Jade, honey, are you okay?" My mom asks through the door. 

"Yeah, I'm fine. I'll be down in a few minutes." I reply. I hear my mom's footsteps walk downstairs again and I walk over to my window. I open it up and climb onto the roof. I sit down and put my back against the house. Maybe all I need to do is force myself to focus on one thing. Just like I did with Zach's story. I've got an idea. 

I look around and when I don't see anyone, I climb down from the roof and sprint for my dad's garage. He said he wanted me to start training with weapons and that he already had a bunch. Let's hope he has what I want. 

When I reach the garage, I try the door but it was locked. I walk around the garage, looking for a window. When I find one unlocked, I climb in and start looking for what I want.