Chapter 1 (No Last Name)

Cleo didn’t have a last name. You needed a father, a family, to have one of those. You needed to belong somewhere; a mother that tucked you in at night, a brother that teased you. She needed but didn’t have all of this. So as Cleo stared up at the signing sheet for the writing contest she simply wrote: ‘Cleo (Unknown)’

Unknown. 

While every other kid on the list had a last name, whether weird or common, hers was unknown. 

It always made her wander if she even belonged. No last name to her was like no name at all. 

“Excuse me,” she snapped away from her curly cursive and spun around to come face to face with an impatient fellow student. The girl, who’s long black hair curtained her dark face, raised a barley visible eyebrow at Cleo and pointed towards the list. “I would like to sign and you’re kind of…. In my way.”

“Oh sorry,” Cleo apologized quickly, stumbling to the side as the dark haired girl scribbled her name in a hurry, letting the pen on the chain dangle as she left. 

Matilda Daniels. 

The girl had a last name. She had a family to go home to, parents to take care of her and maybe a brother or sister that got on her nerves. It’s all Cleo could think about as she started down the hall, the crowd of kids beginning to dwindle, everyone leaving school to finally get home. 

Cleo stopped by the big double doors, her caramel colored hair falling in little wisp beside her as she stared down at the gleaming handles. She didn’t have a room to go home to. She didn’t have a house to go home to. She didn’t have a mom and dad to go home to. 

Cleo lived under a bridge.