Chapter 8 (Answers)

Cleo has no last name. With no last name comes no family. With no family comes no home....

Being a teenager has its ups and downs, trials and errors, dreams and nightmares, friendships and hardships. Cleo finds herself going through all of this, but double the trials, double the errors, double the nightmares and double the hardships.

Yet there is a small sliver hope when she realizes she can have double the friendship.

Here's a song that i feel captured the entire meaning of BTHH: Demi Lovato: Fix a Heart

tags

anthony, bridge, cleo, homeless, love-story

genre

Literature & Fiction

stats

Published on 2011-01-09 · 2160 total people like it

Chapters

Chapter 1: No Last Name

49 comments · 156 likes

Chapter 2: Stranger

27 comments · 88 likes

Chapter 3: Delivery

13 comments · 69 likes

Chapter 4: Revenge

27 comments · 62 likes

Chapter 5: Shame

17 comments · 64 likes

27 more chapters

Answers

Chapter 8 — Updated Jan 20, 2011 — 10,001 characters

26 comments · 69 likes

Her heart thumped like a drum as Cleo stumbled backwards. She wasn't expecting that question to leave Anthony's mouth. She wasn't expecting it at all.

"I- I.." her tongue was tied. It felt like a rag had sopped up all her spit, leaving her mouth dry. Cleo clutched a knot in the tree shading them and tried not to meet Anthony's gaze. What would he think of her? Would he be like every one else, only talking to her to get yesterday's homework assignment?

Cleo couldn't bare the thought.

"So..." Anthony prodded, tilting his head so that he could meet her eyes. "Why can't you tell me?"

Cleo closed her eyes shut but she could still feel Anthony staring at her, his eyes boring into her eyelids. She finally pried her eyes open to see him looking at her in concentration. He looked like he was trying to understand a hard and complex puzzle.

Anthony placed his elbow on his arm and rubbed his chin methodically. He honestly thought he had Cleo all figured out. A quirky girl with soft caramel colored hair and these strange hazel almost yellow eyes. He had found her as an outcast, more like she found him, and he came to tolerate her.

But now she was holding something back from him, and he desperately wanted to know what it was.

"Will you-" Cleo's voice caught in her throat, "Will you tell me why you didn't want to go home if I tell you where I live?"

Her voice was soft and frail, far away almost as Anthony snapped his wandering eyes back to her. Cleo looked on at him, wandering why it was taking him so long to answer. Was it really that bad?

"Fine," he said in a hard tone that made her jump, "If you don't want to tell me, it's fine."

Then he marched back over to the dingy double doors, pulling them open and disappearing inside.